RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hello!

My pools been open since May 1 and the chemicals looks good, water is clear but I'm seeing foam when the water is agitated (is goes away in about 30 seconds). Wouldn't algicide have dissipated by now? Chlorine is 3.0 and PH is 7.6.

Thanks!
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5014.jpg
    IMG_5014.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5013.jpg
    IMG_5013.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 49
Robert, if your pool doesn't look like this (frothy), your chemicals are way off:
Pool Beer.jpg
Seriously though, It would help us if you posted a full set of results and could tell us exactly what product(s) you added to your water recently since this started.

ha! Now that looks good. I'm not sure what was used. I had someone open the pool. I've used him before and he usually does a very good job. I can ask what kind he used.Should I do any other types of tests besides CL and PH? I think he added some chemicals for alkalinity.

If you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, it would help to see all the numbers. If you don't have one of those, there's not much you can do at the moment but let the pump run and try to filter/purge the foam out. Eventually it should. It just would've been nice to know what caused it. More than likely, something the pool guy added. Watch your FC of 3 though. I don't know what your CYA level is, but a, FC is pretty low for most corresponding CYA levels as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below).

Have a nice weekend! :swim: :cheers:

Well, TA is a bit high, and that may be causing your pH to rise quickly. If it is, then you'll want to do the acid/aeration trick as noted on the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. But most importantly right now Robert is that CYA. Generally when people tell us their CYA is 100, we have them do a diluted test as follows:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Often times they find-out their CYA is actually much higher than 100. Something to think about. If you have to lower the CYA (water exchange), it's always best to do it first rather than wasting chemicals on water you're going to dump anyways.

ARGH, ran out of reagent! I got to 3/4 of the way up to the sticker though. The CYA read lower like around 50 but I'm assuming that's because I didn't have enough reagent. I'll go pick some up tomorrow and rerun the test. I've been reading a bit and sometimes you have to dump quite a bit of water.

Getting back to the froth for a minute. Would certain liquid chlorines cause this by any chance? I know you're supposed to use any wth fragrance, which I'm not, but maybe I should switch brands.

Yeah, I'd get more reagent and confirm to be sure. That CYA is just too important. When it's really high (over 100), it requires much more FC each day and can also skew your pH readings. You can retest tomorrow and post back and we'll re-group from there. Have a good evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Took pool water to pool store and they confirmed CYA 100+. I did the diluted test and came up with between 40-50 consistently which is around 100. I think the next step is to dump the water to lower CYA? They also said phosphates were high but I think once I dumb and refill I should test everything over? On a separate note, do I need to clean the cartridges other than rinsing them off? Like a degreaser or something?

For now, water exchange is #1. Get that CYA back down to at least around 50 or less. Then refill and post/adjust all levels. Rinse cartridges as needed when psi gauge increases by about 25%. And finally .... stay far away form the pool store and any phosphate concerns. :) Use your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. A TFP-clean pool has no algae, therefore phosphates are of no concern.

Still battling my little foam. Here are my levels after my 50% water dump and refill.
CYA 60-70
AK - 110
FC 2.5-3.0 (I will be raising this)
CH 230.

It only foams up when I agitate the water or start the pumps after I cleaned the pump basket.

I've done pretty much everything I can and I'm thinking it's either my cartridges or too much algicide and or the wrong kind? I can order new cartridges and maybe that an option. Insofar as the algecide, everything I've read said it will eventually dispurse but I'm closing in on three weeks now and I still see it.

Alright! So with a CYA of 70, your target FC is 8, so you always want your FC around that 7-9 range - never below 5. If you never use pucks or add stabilizer this year, the CYA will slowly lower from splashout and a very small monthly-ppm reduction factor. TA is fine for now, but I don't recall your pH. Did you test that today? Just make sure it's between 7.5-7.8. Your CH is "just" under the 250 minimum, but shouldn't be a factor right now. But keep an eye on it from time to time to ensure CH doesn't get much lower for the health of your plaster. I would also suggest checking your CC (combined chlorine) next time you check the FC. That may clue us in on anything else in the water related to the foam. Great job lowering that CYA!

Alright! So with a CYA of 70, your target FC is 8, so you always want your FC around that 7-9 range - never below 5. If you never use pucks or add stabilizer this year, the CYA will slowly lower from splashout and a very small monthly-ppm reduction factor. TA is fine for now, but I don't recall your pH. Did you test that today? Just make sure it's between 7.5-7.8. Your CH is "just" under the 250 minimum, but shouldn't be a factor right now. But keep an eye on it from time to time to ensure CH doesn't get much lower for the health of your plaster. I would also suggest checking your CC (combined chlorine) next time you check the FC. That may clue us in on anything else in the water related to the foam. Great job lowering that CYA!

Sorry. Forgot to tell you PH 7.6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.