Total Alkalinity - my test vs Pool Supply Store

I'm new and just received my TF 100 kit. I tested the chemicals and then, as a check took them to my local Pool Supply Store for their analysis.
We differed in Total Alkalinity - I found it at 100 yesterday, then rechecked today and it read 90 (I probably did it wrong yesterday). The pool store said it was 75 and wanted me to add 4.2 lbs of "Total Alkalinity". What should I do?

Also they found CH at 320, while I found it at 475 (both times).

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

Rob

+1 :) and your TA is perfect, your PH will raise slower...

And because you have a great test kit, you know that there recommendation of buying stuff to raise your TA so then they can sell you MA to lower PH did not work... :)

You don't need to ask your barber if you need a haircut. The answer is always yes.

You also don't need to ask your pool store if there is something you need to get for your pool

Let's say you're TA is 75, so what? I keep mine between 50 & 60. TA moderates the swings in pH. Generally, the higher the TA the more pH swings.

Let's see, the pool $tore wants you to keep it at probably 120. PH goes up quickly causing your to buy more acid to drop the pH. After a while the acid also drops the TA - wait, you need to raise your TA.

With many pool $tores it's a roller coaster. You are constantly buying something to adjust something.

TFP believes in getting things as trouble free as possible. Lower your TA if you need to to keep the pH in check. The pool $tore has you chasing "magic" numbers.

Relax and enjoy your pool. Don't let them pull you into their trap.

Rob, Rob, Rob, you have to do us FL people proud! You are already doing good with getting the good test kit. Now show just how smart you are and stay away from the pool store. They are wallet sharks! Here is your shopping list:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Notice that none of it has to come from the pool store. Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Neat huh?

I want to also go up to the top of this page and click on Pool School and read the ABC of pools. It will take more than one read but after testing and reading you will see it all start to click.

Let us know if you have ANY questions!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.