Green, Cloudy Pool

May 13, 2016
Carrollton/Texas
Hi,

I am having trouble with my pool being green and cloudy. I have shocked it numerous times and it seems not to do anything. I was told at the pool store that my chlorine levels were very high and the ph was good. They recommended flock. So I am going to brush the pool when I get home and add the flock to the water so hopefully I can then see the bottom in the next couple of days and vacuum when it all falls to the bottom. I am concerned that this will not work since all of the other things we have tried so far have yet to work. Do you have any other suggestions for what I can do to clear up this problem?

My pool has been green for a couple of weeks now. We have been putting chlorine in it regularly as well as shocking it. When we took a sample up to the pool store they said our chlorine level was very high and the ph was good, but the pool is still green. They recommended putting a double dose of flock in it and then vacuuming when it all falls to the bottom. I am curious about what you guys recommend. Thanks!

I have combined your two posts for clarity. We recommend you get one of our two suggested test kits, go to Pool School and learn how to SLAM your pool, and stay out of the pool store! Floc is NOT your answer. Can you at least list your pool store test results for us at this point? Welcome.

If you floc now, you'll get rid of a lot of the cloudiness for a very short while. Floc won't kill your algae, so it will grow back and make your pool cloudy again.

Your problem is likely high CYA (cyanuric acid) that is reducing the ability of your chrloine to kill your algae. Listing your test results, including CYA, will help.

What types of chlorine have you been putting into your pool? Adding dichlor (a common shock) or trichlor (the common form of the 3" discs) could be counterproductive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.