Mesh Fence Sleeve Alternative

MMM923

Jun 17, 2015
Northern NJ
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but hope someone will chime in with an answer or suggestion.

I purchased 30' of mesh fence off ebay. The company that makes it goes by the name Protect a Child.

The fence was purchased to satisfy permit requirements - even though my entire yard is fenced in with with 3 gates all with locks (2 self locking) I do not have any kids of my own and very rarely would there be a kid here to worry about. Regardless the "Man" says I need a fence in this one area so I guess I need to put up a fence.

With that said, I get the fence and with my luck it did not come with sleeves. The ebayer that sold it is one of those closeout sellers so when I asked him he didn't have a clue.
I called the company and they referred me to a local dealer. Several calls - none returned.
I ordered a no-name brand of sleeves off ebay that based on the description seemed like they would work. They did not. I even tried to sand down the inside with no luck.
The poles are about the diameter of a quarter - roughly 1". They appear to be metal/aluminum with a fiberglass core.
I am trying to install about 4 of the 10 poles in dirt (actually its really hard clay under 2-3" of garbage topsoil). Ill dig down 2 feet, pour concrete etc.
Racking my brain on this I came up with a few ideas and I am hoping someone can suggest me through this.

First Idea: Get some 1.25" black pipe (type used for nat gas lines) cut into 2' lengths dig hole - pour concrete - level pipe vertical and flush with dirt - insert fence post - fill with silicone or caulk (something that would make it just hard enough a "kid" couldnt pull it out)
Second Idea: Use 1.25" PVC and do all of the above.
Third Idea: Hammer down some rebar, drill appropriate sized hole in the bottom of the fence pole, slide fence pole onto rebar. I think this one is a really bad idea because if the pole really is cored with fiberglass I am willing to bet this could go wrong fast - im thinking its going to splinter, worst case it will break off chunks of the fiberglass.
Fourth idea: Ask if anyone on here has extra sleeves for a protect a child fence. 4 would be great but I really need 10.
Thanks!

Thanks Cowboy - i think im gonna try PVC. Just because its cheaper - plus I ordered one of those dirt auger bits - I can attach it to my hammer drill and make sure they are down about 30".
I can drill a few deck screws through the pvc before I hammer it down - should help hold the pipe in the concrete - I found some silicone rings in my garage - they fit tight around the posts - ill use them instead of silicone/caulk first - If this works out Ill share results.
Amazon.com : Yard Butler IRD-2, 30-Inch Roto Auger, 1.75-Inch Diameter : Lawn And Garden Hand Tools : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.