Cartridge Filter slows down flow too much

Jun 4, 2014
Livonia/MI
I have an inground 6k fiberglass pool, with a Jandy 1 1/4 HP pump and Tropicflo cartridge filter. I'm needing to clean my filter weekly to keep the pressure from building. I was dumping some water and left the cartridge out and flow was amazing. I've had the same problem every year, with different brand cartridge replacements, We only have a 4 month pool season here in Michigan and I change them annually. Any ideas? Thanks

I would definitely do the OCLT, additionally If you get a fair amount of visible debris a hairnet in the skimmer can cut down on the amount that gets to the filter a bit. The biggest befit is not having to empty the pump basket I only do that every couple of months if even that often.

While a 100 sq ft cart filter works it is really small, I have 100 sq ft cart on my hot tub, it has 700 gallons :)

A 320 sq ft would work way better for you but if you have algae it will still clog up, how are you testing your water?

I hope this helps

I have to Slam my pool every year I open it, extremely cloudy for about 2 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

The filter is mostly white cloudy water that comes out of it, very minimal slime or hard particles.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Taylor kit, FC & TC are equal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.