Baton Rouge
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
After years of talking about it, we're close to breaking ground on a new inground gunite salt water pool.
I need to finalize the shape and dimensions with the builder for the dig potentially as early as next week.
We've got three kids ages 4, 8, and 9 -- and they're growing up too fast -- so I'm glad we're finally moving forward.
Pool is centered with the back of the house patio. Leaving room to the right of the pool for a possible house bonus room addition in the future.
Potentially adding covered patio where the house forms an L shape.
We originally wanted some sort of little grotto in the middle of where the wall is now on this diagram.
But grottos are expensive and it looked too small for what we wanted to spend towards that, and plus the potential for salt water rock issues.
So right now the plan is to go with an 18" high wall with (5) 6" sheer descents instead. Though I do like Matchless1's rock setup with slide which I've been following with interest also being in the same town.
I am planning on getting the ~T100 test kit is recommended by these forums.

We're at 610 sq.ft. (15,747 Gal.) of pool.

14" shelf and benches
3.5 to 6.5 depth
1 HP Jandy dual speed pump with motor on timer
?? Jandy ? speed pump for wall sheer descents
460 sq ft. Jandy cartridge filter (I need to verify if this is still the right size after bumping up the size of the pool some.)
(2) Jandy LED white lights
(1) Jandy small LED on sundeck shelf
(2) Waterway skimmers
Dual 8" main drains with anti-vortex covers.
18” high wall with (5) 6” Sheer Descents on separate motor capped with coping stone and veneered with stacked stone

Gunite 8" thick shell
12" think bond beam
Steel #3 certified grade 40 on 8" centers each way
4 1/2" rebars
4" thick gravel under drain system under the entire bottom
All piping will be minimum of 2" schedule 40 PVC tested to 30 PSI
Plastered with Diamondbrite finish -- color up to us
6" frost proof ceramic tile

Upgrades:
+Definitely adding the salt water generator. Jandy
+Will probably upgrade to color Jandy leds.
+Maybe 3 telescoping fountains on the sundeck. We have road noise so I want some water noise closer to the house.

??Automation??
-There is no spa.
+Might be nice to control the LED lights on/off separate from the equipment pad on demand.
+If going with color would give ability to control color of LEDs.
+Assuming I'd go with the iAqualink panel if I go with automation
+See pump questions below. But 1 variable speed pump with automation or 2 pumps with timers?

Pool Questions:
1. Does anyone see anything wrong or recommendations with size/shape of pool?
2. Does the sundeck size seem too big? I've seen this go both ways -- some like it big, some like it small.
3. Is 14" a good depth for the shelf and benches?
3. Any recommendations on the steps?
4. What size Jandy cartridge filter would you recommend for this pool size?
6. Potentially adding a covered patio where the house makes the L shape. I wonder if the ~4 ft is okay distance off the patio for the pool.

Pump Questions:
Back when we were looking at a grotto the pool builder recommended running the pool and grotto off the same pump all the time.
Based on my readings from here I mentioned having read about the water feature action driving up the FC on the chemistry -- that wasn't something he said would be an issue -- I'm guessing it could be though.
Switching to the wall with sheer descents instead of small grotto the pool builder is now recommending a separate pump for the wall's sheer descents.
The equipment will be on the other side of the master bedroom wall and I don't want to hear it at night. Or the neighbor having to hear it during the day on the other side of the fence ~10ft away.
4. Is the Jandy variable speed pump any quieter than the dual speed pump when running at the same rpm? I searched but didn't see any decibels documented. I need to get specific model numbers from him, but I need to narrow down what I want first.
5. Do you think I should be targeting 1 pump or 2? Dual or variable?
6. If no spa, is automation worth it in my scenario?
7. If no automation panel, what are my options for controlling on/off and light color remotely?
8. What do you think having the builder add the iAqualink control panel and valve control should cost?

Any other recommendations at all?
You won't hurt my feelings.
I'll post pics of the backyard soon as is. Right now I really just need to finalize the shape/size for the upcoming dig.

Thanks!
Chris

The sunshelf does seem large but it all depends on what / how you think you will want to use it. No matter how large you do it, I would definitely request at least a few bubblers. We did our 1st step as the sunshelf and love it that way. The depth is about 6-7" of water. Seems perfect for us.

If starting a brand new build, I am not sure why you would not go variable speed for flexibility and electricity savings.

Automation can get really expensive. I decided to get the PB to install a Pentair Easytouch and I have added a indoor control box and will be adding some actuators myself and I can add more later in regard to lighting, valve controls, etc. The price the builders charge for all of it is usually a little crazy.

They might be able to add a separate light control panel that gives some options but I would rather put that money into a full control box.

4' off the house might not be enough. Will have to check local codes. I know ours had to be 5' minimum.

I have no spa, but do have a SWCG and pole lights, but I really like having automation. Just much more convenient.

Here are some backyard pictures. The dig may start this week depending on weather.

@mgmoore7 "4' off the house might not be enough. Will have to check local codes. I know ours had to be 5' minimum."
I think I will push it back another foot to 5 feet of the house. The problem is we're not sure if we're going to add the covered patio or not. If not, then I don't want it even further off the house than it already is. But if we do, then I don't want to too close to where the covered patio ends.

@Marlahoutex - Thanks for the recommendation on going up to the Jandy 580 filter

@bmoreswim - Thanks for your comments about enjoying the automation even without the spa.

Overhead view: (Not necessarily to scale -- probably needed to be stretched a little bigger)

From near post of little covered part of back patio:

From back fence

From deep end of pool (Ignore my junky string and cinderblocks. Was just trying to get a rough feel for the size. Feels bigger in person than in this picture.)

Wed 6/8: The old cracked patio slab came out yesterday, grading commenced and the pool was marked out.
Thur 6/9: Pool dig has begun. Measurements are looking good.
Rebar tomorrow and gunite on Saturday if the weather holds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.