Q for northerners: Do you have underground SCH40 PVC pipe for your pool?

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
I'm hearing conflicting reports about using hard, schedule 40 PVC pipe for underground plumbing for those of us living in northern climates. I'm curious how many of ya'll have PVC plumbing without any major issues, and if so, how deep down have you dug to install it?

I did not build my pool. It was built I believe in the early 1990s. As far as I know, the plumbing from the pad to the pool is flexible PVC. There was some replumbing done at some point on my pool. I can tell because there are concrete repairs where skimmers and returns were replaced. So their may be a blend of flex and rigid PVC but I'm not going to find out until something breaks!

My neighbors just had a pool built last summer. I was not there for their install but I can ask if they remember type of PVC and approx depth.

I have it. Well some Sch. 40 and some black poly tubing/pipe, both of which were inherited with the pool. I think mine is mostly under concrete, but around 12-18 deep. Below the frost line is ideal but seldom done. It would have to be blown out to prevent freezing and ideally surrounded by sand to minimize shifting but its not a concern to me. Or at least better than any alternative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.