Vacuuming with cartridge filter

Jun 7, 2015
Mount Dora, Fl
After slamming my pool and finally getting it clear I am left with dead algae on the bottom. I have always had a sand filter and my new home has cartridge. When I try to vacuum using a conventional hose attached to the skimmer I start out at about 10-15psi and some suction but within minutes my filter clogs up and my psi shoots up to 30+ and I lose suction. I have repeatedly switched out filters and am constantly cleaning them but unable to vacuum up the algae. All it does is stirs it up clouding my pool again. I have tried using my Polaris using a sand/silt bag with and without a filter sock but the algae goes right through the bag. By brushing it is little by little filtering out but requires multiple cleaning and filter changes per day. I have a Hayward C1200 filter with about a 10,000 gallon pool. There is no way to vacuum to waste like there is with a sand filter. Is there something I am missing or is this all I can do? Thank you!

Hi! I have to say something doesn't sound quite right, and my gut is telling me you may still have algae. I have the exact same filter as you and I manually vacuum. All I vacuum is dirt, no algae. Algae will definitely fill up that cartridge quickly. You might want to post a full set of numbers or do an OCLT to be safe.

You should have a manual valve on the discharge side of your pump (garden hose style valve), before it gets to the filter. Open this valve up while you are vacuuming and most of the water you vacuum will exit this valve to the ground. You will be losing water to the pool by doing this, so just be careful you don't drop the water level below the skimmer level or you will run the pump dry. Add water if needed when done vacuuming.

The easiest way to vac to waste with a cartiridge filter is to leave the top off of the filter vessel. All of the pumped water will simply flow out the top. It'll make a mess, but it will be wasted. I didn't want the mess, so I had to make plumbing modifications to my cartridge filter to add the ability to vac to waste. For me, that soution was adding a few valves to an existing line for a pressure side cleaner. I run the pump without the filters in it, and then direct the water to th ehose on the downstream side. It wasn't too hard to modify, but systems can all be configured differently, and yours may be harder than mine. For example, I didn't have the manual valve on my pump discharge like Starplex mentioned above.

with a trip to lowes and some glue and valves you can make one :)

I used a 3 way Jandy neverlube, 2 inch pipe and a 1.5 inc reducer to 1,5 inch trash hose..

Amazon.com : Jandy 4715 3-Port 1-1/2 to 2-Inch Positive Seal NeverLube Valve : Swimming Pool Filter Valves : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com: Apache 98138045 2 Scientific

QSVg2Wih.jpg

AMle73hh.jpg

vwkRSaLh.jpg

GChandler, I know the struggles with a single cartridge filter since we have the same. At some point down the road, if you ever cut into your suction line, that would be the ideal time to do as CowboyCasey suggests. I might do that as well. Unfortunately for now, you and I can't really duplicate the "vacuum to waste" process that sand filter owners do. The small hose spigot at the bottom of the housing is just about useless, and only good for very slow drains. At least our filter top comes-off rather easy and we only have one cartridge to rinse off. But I have to emphasize ... no amount of filtration or sending water out of the pool will clear your algae. If you have algae, then bleach is your best weapon when used according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Doing an OCLT will confirm. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.