Heater Size & By Pass Valve

May 13, 2016
Bolingbrook/IL
Hi Everyone,

I've narrowed down my heater choice to a Rheem heater. I have a 21' round AGP (~10k gallons) and deciding between the 206k BTU or the 266k BTU heater. There's currently only a $100 difference to get the 266kBTU one. Do you think the 266k BTU an overkill?

Also, is it more common these days to not install a bypass valve anymore? My gas line contractor will only install a check valve and not a bypass one.

thanks in advance for your replies.

Mike

Heater Size & By Pass Valve

A bypass for water flow? Why is your gas contractor doing that? Is he your plumber as well?

If your talking about a water bypass, I would definitely add one. It's always good to be able to easily take the heater out of the plumbing loop when it needs service or a problem is suspected. As well, heaters can be very restrictive to water flow (large head loss) so if you don't need to heat the water it's good to get that loss back.

The check valve will be between the heater and the frog. So it'll go something like pool -> pump -> filter -> heater -> check valve -> frog -> return to pool.

Your signature says you want to get rid of the PoolFrog. Are you still using it? Is there a specific question you have about that? You can ask it here or start a new thread if you want. There are plenty of ex-Frog users here who can help you out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.