Old kooldeck flaking off - need suggestions

May 3, 2016
macon ga
We have Kooldeck or a similar product on our patio. Not sure how old it is. It is constantly crumbling and flaking off. We also have some pretty significant cracks. We are trying to get the remainder of the kooldeck off. Any suggestions on what to replace it with and how to fix the crack?

We did have a guy look at it and he suggested adding another joint where the major crack is. He said as big as it was the repair probably would not last. He could also grind off the kooldeck but it was too pricey for me.

Thanks!

If it is still actively crumbling/flaking, nothing will work on top of it. The loose material needs to all be removed before recoating with something. Cracks should probably opened up using a grinder and filled with a cement/grount-like material. Others can suggest specifically. Then it would be ready for your top coat. This could be another Kooldeck or similar.

Or another possibility is this product called Cool! Concrete Coating. It's a kit with material that gets mixed with acrylic/latex paint and applied with a roller. The reviews are really good online and has been referenced here once or twice. It's quite expensive if you have a large area. But the warranty is impressive. I have no personal experience with it. I may try it on a small area some day as I will need to redo our stained concrete someday.

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Pool-Deck-Coating-Gallons/dp/B006I99IJQ

Some pictures would be good showing the cracks close up and the whole deck. But the Kooldeck has to come off first. Depending on the situation you often get significantly better results jacking it up and re-pouring. But we need pictures to make that assessment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.