What to do after draining

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Not sure where to post this, I'll move it if this isn't right place.

Not totally a beginner to this, been following your advice for about 5 years now but need some advice on what to do after pool has been completely drained. Ran into this problem because CYA was over 100 and couldn't get rid of algae even after lots of Clorox. Algae seems to be everywhere. I read a few of the posts here but couldn't find posts related to a tiled surface. (actually as a related question, which option do I pick at the bottom of pool calculator, plaster, vinyl or fiberglass?) and need suggestions on cleaning compound for walls, etc. Is there a link somewhere that talks to all of this? Don't want to use muriatic acid for cleaning, it's just too much risk.

I know to clean behind the submerged light, and I will get all the water and any debris out completely. But what else do you recommend?

Should I also 'deep clean' sand filter? Never done this, is there any issue with taking the top of the tank off? I watched the video on deep cleaning but don't want to screw something else up. Is it under pressure?

Also, now rethinking how big the pool really is (I estimated 22,000 gals but not sure). It's a pregnant kidney shape so the kidney shaped calculators might be off. Should I just use kidney shaped calculators?

Ugh, not looking forward to this, will take forever to drain and refill it, not counting cleaning and costs of water. Ugh again. Would rather be surfing.

Thanks for any help.

Ben.

As to calculating size of pool in gallons, be sure to read your water meter right before and then right after the fill. This will give you a handle on # of gallons, which as you know comes into play for a lot of chemical adjustments, etc. You can alao find online or at HD, some inexpensive water gauges/meters that attach to your fill hose (for lower capacity meters, keep an eye on when they turn over to 0000 so you end up being able to compute a final, accurate reading of the gallons that have run thru the meter).

Others may have some non acid treatments that can be used for cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.