Re: Pictures of Salt Water flagstone or coping damage?

i said 'virus' not malware.

BTW - the 'expert' in the article is Bitdefender’s Senior E-Threat Analyst. BitDefender sells anti-virus.

ft.

- - - Updated - - -

and then he woke up. There are plenty. Have been since the 80's all the way until today.

link please to VIRUS (not malware) found outside of an anti-virus selling firm.

i said 'virus' not malware.

BTW - the 'expert' in the article is Bitdefender’s Senior E-Threat Analyst. BitDefender sells anti-virus.

ft

link please to VIRUS (not malware) found outside of an anti-virus selling firm.

Here you go:

Lysa Myers | The Mac Security Blog

Also, Countless articles explaining that the term virus is simply a subset of malware. Moreover, malware can be far more sinister and damaging than many computer viruses.

Understanding tech language: The difference between malware and a virus

Please.. Intego, the site to which you linked,to is another anti-virus vending company.

It's like asking a pool chemical manufacturer if your pool NEEDS their chemicals.

Also, Countless articles explaining that the term virus is simply a subset of malware. Moreover, malware can be far more sinister and damaging than many computer viruses.

Understanding tech language: The difference between malware and a virus
[/QUOTE]

A virus is something that can propagate to other computers by itself.

Malware is usually installed by a user.

There is a huge difference.

Please... link me a news source which is not a company selling anti-virus products.

ft.

Not enough people are crazy enough to use an Apple for it to be worth the hackers effort :D :stirpot:

Yes, that was the argument in OS9 days, pre ~2001, when Apple sales were significantly lower.

Ironically there were some true Mac viruses back then (plus of course the Microsoft Office macro viruses which could be transferred through the Mac Office suite).

Nowadays Apple are selling 100,000,000 devices a year... that's a big target but still no viruses. What can they be doing so right?
:shark:

Your initial premise was Macs lack of vulnerability. That was followed up by your stated belief that malware is not a problem because (a) it is not a virus and (b) because it has to be downloaded by the user. This is wrong on both accounts.

Its well known that Mac OS has far less issues with malware than MS or Linux, just as it is well known that Mac OS is not invulnerable to malware. But I have no doubt that fervent Mac OS enthusiasts reject any possible vincibility of their OS.

BTW, It took me all but two seconds to pull up this Wall Street Journal article, which of course, we all know is a front for anti virus software companies.

Macs and Malware: What You Can Do to Stay Safe - Digits - WSJ

[Probably a good idea to move this part of the thread to an appropriate forum].

Your initial premise was Macs lack of vulnerability.

Er, no. My initial premise was that there are no viruses for Macs.

I tried to equate the previous poster's comments that 'people think aliens exist but we have no photos' with the view that people think there are viruses for Macs but there aren't.

That was followed up by your stated belief that malware is not a problem

Er, no again.

I did not say malware is not a problem on the Mac platform, I said there are no viruses for Macs.

I have no doubt that fervent Mac OS enthusiasts reject any possible vincibility of their OS.

In my original post (at the top of the page) I stated there are no viruses for Macs today, but there may be tomorrow.

Rather than invincibility, that is explicit acknowledgement that the current no-virus situation may change, possibly tomorrow.

BTW, It took me all but two seconds to pull up this Wall Street Journal article, which of course, we all know is a front for anti virus software companies.

Macs and Malware: What You Can Do to Stay Safe - Digits - WSJ

You are trying to merge viruses with malware. A virus could be termed 'malware', but malware is not necessarily a virus.

There is plenty of malware - needing to be installed by users - on Macs but no viruses.

Again, please link to information about a specific, named virus that exists on Macs so I can learn something, say "you're right" and we can end this :)

ft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my original post (at the top of the page) I stated there are no viruses for Macs today, but there may be tomorrow.

Rather than invincibility, that is explicit acknowledgement that the current no-virus situation may change, possibly tomorrow.

You are trying to merge viruses with malware. A virus could be termed 'malware', but malware is not necessarily a virus.

There is plenty of malware - needing to be installed by users - on Macs but no viruses.ft.

While I do not place you in this category, there are many rather smug Mac OS proponents who tout the excellent built in anti virus Mac coding as making the Mac OS completely invulnerable...which is like someone who brags about having developed a gene that makes one immune to the harmful effects of radium, but then failing to disclose that it doesn't protect against any of the other radioactive elements. It is this specious claim that spawns so many articles about the myths of Mac OS' invulnerability, which you have to admit was at least tacitly expressed in, or could reasonably be inferred from, your original post.

I was hesitant to try Apple 9 yrs ago when it was time for a new laptop. I did a lot of reading on the Internet, everyone that tried Mac said they would never go back.
i am a firm believer, "GO MAC, AND NEVER LQQK BACK". I bought a MacBook Pro laptop for my wife and I. We have NEVER had a virus or malware problem.
When Mac had a software upgrade, it was FREE........and thing that made it so different from a Microsoft product IS-----it actually worked, no problems, no run time errors, no compatibility issues and 2 months ago I just bought an IMac 24" screen
i would never own another Windows Microsoft product if you gave it to me for free.
i hear many people talking these days about all the problems they are having trying to install Windows 10.

get a Mac, you will never go back

This is becoming Mac v PC thing... a whole other discussion for another thread (which I will avoid :D )

Let's at least stay on topic.

I only said there are no viruses for Mac. To clarify, I said virus not malware. I intended to convey viruses explicit to Mac OS, rather than sub-platforms like Java, Flash, Office, etc. You can beat me up on that if you want.

But.. can anyone find a Mac virus and name it please?

Yes, there are millions for Windows, but please educate me on Mac viruses.

Thanks ft.

It definitely does not meet the definition of a virus. The article, however, does meet the definition of sloppy reporting.

Note that Reuters, who originally reported the article, did not call it a virus. They referred to it as malware and ransomware. Palo Alto Networks who originally 'found' :rolleyes: the malware did not call it a virus.

When TIME re-reported the Reuters article, based on the PAN press release, they incorrectly used the virus 'word' for the first time.

For your information Google's definition of a computer virus is:

"A piece of code that is capable of copying itself and typically has a detrimental effect, such as corrupting the system or destroying data."

Wikipedia states:

"A computer virus is a malware that, when executed, replicates by reproducing it self or infecting other programs by modifying them."

It's the copying/relicating that defines it as a virus, not that it does something bad to your computer.

ft.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.