Pump Help to replace or not to replace, that is the question

mdhwoods

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2009
Sarasota Florida
I am so confused on whether to replace my pool pump or not. Currently i have a Sta-Rite Dura-glas In-ground Pool Pump -1 HP. This weekend it started making a bearing type sound and pump pressure is down to 5psi from the normal 10psi when clean. Not sure what the normal length of time a motor will last because I replaced the motor about 4-5 years ago. Does that seam typical?

I have a Hayward 120sf cartridge filter, and 1.5" suction and return. I would say combined length is approximately 50-60'. I have no fountains or spas and clean with a Barracuda G3.

I can replace the motor again for probably 150-200. Is it worth it? Should I spend a few hundred more and get a more efficient pump? If so which one? I have looked at the intelliflow, which is costly and an overkill. I also looked at the Pentair Whisperflow.

If i change out the complete pump i would like some gain in efficiency.

Help!

Thanks

The pump really ought to last longer than that, though if the bearings have been getting wet they can fail fairly quickly.

Before replacing the pump you should make sure that there isn't anything else causing extra stress on the pump. Check the pump strainer basket for debris, also remove the pump strainer basket and look to see if any debris has gotten under it. It is probably also worth checking the pipe from the skimmer to the pump to see if there is any blockage, though it is difficult to be sure of that either way.

How much you might want to spend to upgrade to a more efficient pump really depends on your electrical rates. If you were in CA with $0.45 per kWh then getting a high efficiency pump is an easy choice. If, on the other hand, your rates are low, around say $0.10 per kWh, then it is much more difficult to justify spending a lot on a high efficiency pump. Still, getting a two speed pump is almost always worth the small price premium, even when a variable speed pump can't be justified.

JasonLion said:
The pump really ought to last longer than that, though if the bearings have been getting wet they can fail fairly quickly.
Original pump, i just had a new motor put on it. Not sure if that matters or not

JasonLion said:
Before replacing the pump you should make sure that there isn't anything else causing extra stress on the pump. Check the pump strainer basket for debris, also remove the pump strainer basket and look to see if any debris has gotten under it. It is probably also worth checking the pipe from the skimmer to the pump to see if there is any blockage, though it is difficult to be sure of that either way.

Plan on cracking the pump housing open tonight just to be sure nothing it fouling the impellers, though it sure sounds like failing bearings. Skimmer to pump will be quite tough to determine though ill give it a shot. If skimmer to pump had an obstruction wouldn't i be sucking in some air?

JasonLion said:
How much you might want to spend to upgrade to a more efficient pump really depends on your electrical rates. If you were in CA with $0.45 per kWh then getting a high efficiency pump is an easy choice. If, on the other hand, your rates are low, around say $0.10 per kWh, then it is much more difficult to justify spending a lot on a high efficiency pump. Still, getting a two speed pump is almost always worth the small price premium, even when a variable speed pump can't be justified.

My cost is .21 per kWh, my only concern with the 2 speed is if my current pump runs on 110 or 220. I will confirm that tonight also. I am pretty sure it is 110 though.

Knowing what info i have posted do you think i can get away with a 3/4 hp dual speed? Or should i stick with a 1hp dual speed? Or should i get a 1hp uprated or a 1hp full rated....ok now my head is spinning.

Thanks

You should be able to replace the motor with a dual speed motor that otherwise matches the existing motor. That would be your least expensive option.

If you are replacing the entire pump, I suggest getting a WhisperFlo. They are just slightly more efficient and come in appropriate configurations. 3/4 HP full rated and 1 HP max rated are essentially the same thing. As long as you are getting a dual speed a 1 HP full rated or 1.5 HP max rated would also be acceptable. The 3/4 HP full rated dual speed WhisperFlo is 115 volts.

JasonLion said:
You should be able to replace the motor with a dual speed motor that otherwise matches the existing motor. That would be your least expensive option.

If you are replacing the entire pump, I suggest getting a WhisperFlo. They are just slightly more efficient and come is appropriate configurations. 3/4 HP full rated and 1 HP max rated are essentially the same thing. As long as you are getting a dual speed a 1 HP full rated or 1.5 HP max rated would also be acceptable. The 3/4 HP full rated dual speed WhisperFlo is 115 volts.

From what I can tell I think the 3/4hp full rated, or the 1hp over rated will work for me, do you agree? If i am wired for 220 i may just go for the 1hp full rated, if not the other.

So if i am wired for 110 either the 3/4 full rated or 1hp over rated dual speed
if i am wired for 220 ill go for the 1hp full rated dual speed.

Thanks

Ok, so i just re-read your first line and it looks like you are suggesting if the pump is ok to just replace the motor with a dual speed one. I will have to look into the cost effectiveness of that. I have a feeling this is the original pump which makes it 15-20 years old. But thanks for that suggesting.

So took the pump apart last night just to see if there was something jammed in it. Found nothing. So i turned on the motor with it disconnected from the pump housing. The motor sounded great and was quiet. Took off both o rings and lubed them up. Would have changed them at the time but i did not have replacements. Put it all back together and powered it up. Pump was quiet and pressure was back to where it was supposed to be. I am speculating that the diffuser o ring was allowing pressured water to leak back to the suction side thereby causing a pressure drop. Picked up a new set of orings and installed them today. Pump is quiet and back to normal. Looks like 2 speed motor on hold for now.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.