Adding chemicals with dead pump

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

So my pump motor is fried. A new one is being delivered in about 6 days. In the meantime my pool looks like the swamp thing is going to crawl out of it any moment. :brickwall:

My biggest issue now is the party Im having for memorial day. Ill still have a little over a week to get it sparkling blue after the pump is installed. But letting it sit there like this is killing me a little more each day :)

Can I bring the pool to shock levels and agitate the water with a brush? Is that safe? I won't be on top of it as much as I would be if the filter was running. But I can at least get the process started and keep adding bleach.

Or would it be smarter and safer to just suck it up and wait the 6 days? Thanks!!!

Especially with a vinyl liner , you dont want to put any chemicals in without the pump running.
You're better off waiting to fix the pump. Not much you can do right now.
The de filter and keeping the system running will bring your pool around fast. Especially with the help of TFP.
Good luck

Would never buy one of those warranties again. I bought one and they then said that i didn't service annually with qualified technician as reccomended by the provider and therefore they canned warranty.. I fought via credit card and won my $ back... They will only fix little things, unless you are paying through the nose for annual maintenance on your hvac and a/c units and pumps and water heaters, they won't pay a dime to fix... be careful....

mitch do what pabeader suggests. Take the submersible pump and just have the hose empty back into the pool. You can add chemicals and it will save a lot a aggravation especially if you want to swim at the party. If its already a swap another week of sitting and it won't be ready in a week for the party. Granted the submersible pump won't move water like the pool pump but if you run it 24/7 it's a lot better than letting it sit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't attempt to adjust pH or SLAM without good circulation, but you can certainly add some bleach to keep things from getting worse. A jug or a jug and a half every day, followed immediately by a good brushing. Or a submersible pump. You don't have a robot cleaner do you? That'd keep things stirred up.

I have heard many negatives and positives from people. But I can only talk about my own experiences.
Ive had the warranty company for 10 months. in that time they rebuilt my heating furnace ($1200 job) and are replacing this dual speed motor and pump (over $600).... Those are the only 2 things Ive called them about.

So, so far Ive been extremely happy with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a million for the advice everyone!!! You guys rock as usual. The pump is being replaced tomorrow morning so the shock process starts tomorrow afternoon :)

Cant wait to get this swamp back to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.