A Lesson Learned

viking68

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
I've been "living" with my TF-100 for a few weeks now. Today, I learned to "pay attention".

Saturday, 5/7:

TC: 7.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 300
CYA: 35

This morning, 5/12:

CL: 4.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: Did not test
CYA: 35

Added some stuff - see below.

This evening:

CL: 9.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.2-
TA: 70
CH: 350 (ran twice - how did this go up?)
CYA: still 35. Probably don't need to test this so much.

So after a test (above) and brush (this morning), I "felt" the chlorine should be a little higher, so I dumped in about a gallon.

More is better, right? Before TFP, this probably would have been "about" right. Dummy. Use PoolMath. I wanted Cl to hit about 5 - 5.5. PoolMath tells me I should have added 2 cups (16oz), so I added 8 TIMES MORE THAN I NEEDED!

Acid - same thing. I'm worried about algae, so, more is better, again - 1/2 gallon or so. PoolMath tells me I should have added about 2 cups (16oz), (to get to 7.3) again, added about 4 TIMES MORE THAN I NEEDED!

Lesson learned - USE POOLMATH!!! I've got this pool so well balanced, it takes "just a little bit" compared to the old Pool Store Days!!!

I'm putting in 16 oz of stablizer and then will test on Sunday.

LESSON LEARNED! Just like a guy (the girls will say) - doesn't follow directions.

I am SO GLAD I'm here and have learned all this - wife says the pool water is great (well, not so much today, but nobody was swimming). Hit it with a .lb of baking soda in a bit (PoolMath!)!!!

I simply cannot believe how "little" chemicals are needed when you get the water balanced.

Just a note: I am not sure why you are equating the pH to getting algae ... perhaps you are thinking of the belief that the chlorine is less effective at high pH? Well, that is not true when there is CYA in the water.

To avoid algae, focus on the FC and it ratio with CYA :goodjob:

OH, and baking soda is not the right chemical to use to bump up the pH ... you need borax or soda ash.

Yep, it really is just that easy. In time, you'll learn your pool so well that you'll predict the readings with amazing accuracy before drop one leaves the bottle. You'll also know pretty much how much of what to add without having to refer to poolmath.

During Summer, I use a quart of 12.5% bleach every day and about a quart of acid weekly, and that's it. My test kit has paid for itself many times over.

Really? Once again, I "knew" baking soda was the answer. See? Here all my TFP pals saved me once again! I actually got a box of borax earlier this week because I "remembered" reading it was one of our required chemicals!

Thanks, y'all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.