question about layout - strings on the ground

Jan 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
My pool builder came out yesterday for layout and strung/painted out the pool layout on the ground. The lines on the gound are exactly what the dimensions of the pool are to be (water). When they come to excavate will they dig bigger than the lines on the ground or is my pool going to be smaller than what I actually designed?

-J

My layout 2 months ago was also of the waterline. I assume they do that to help owners visualize where the pool will be and to help inspectors with determining if setbacks are met? On the morning of the dig, my excavators put in their own lines/boards to mark the dig, simply offsetting from the waterline marks by the correct amount. If you have any concerns, just make sure the excavator knows the layout is of the waterline and they can adjust appropriately.

My layout 2 months ago was also of the waterline. I assume they do that to help owners visualize where the pool will be and to help inspectors with determining if setbacks are met? On the morning of the dig, my excavators put in their own lines/boards to mark the dig, simply offsetting from the waterline marks by the correct amount. If you have any concerns, just make sure the excavator knows the layout is of the waterline and they can adjust appropriately.

Same here and just done this week. PB painted out the waterline dimensions in orange on Monday for us to confirm expectations. On Wednesday for the dig the excavation crew painted in blue and used boards and string to measure out a larger dig footprint to account for forming the walls (PB "visual" lines were inside the form board in the pic).
IMG_20160512_165140890_zpsojaxsxbk.jpg

Luckily my schedule is quite flexible so I plan on babysitting the subs all the time. I will start a detailed thread soon with progress outlining my issues with the builder so far. It hasn't been very fun to this point. I was really leaning OB for this project, but my OB estimates only came in 5-8k$ below what most of the big builders here wanted. So I elected to go with *this company* assuming I'd have one person to beat on when I have issues during the process or in the future.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Quick question... about how many inches beyond the water line should I expect them to excavate? How thick is the gunite? There are parts of my build where the pool will actually be above grade.
-J

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly ours was 9" on the walls and 12" towards the last 2 ft at the top. When researching the pool it looked like 6" to 9" walls and 10" to 12" bond beam was the range I saw from builder to builder. It will depend on the soil type we have "expansive soil that swells when wet so I think they went a little thicker than they would have if we had sandy soil.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.