Ready to add salt

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
Weather is warming up and ready to move away from bleach everyday and get the swg going. 30k gallons and never added salt before. Any best practices for first time salt user? Figured id add 500 lbs tonight and turn on swg tomorrow? Pool math called for about 750lbs. Water is balanced bit ill have to get cya up as its at 50.

Added 14 40lb bags last night around 7pm for first time ever salt start up. Ran pump through the night and checked with Aqua check test strips at 8am and it said only 500 ppm. The reading on chlorinator said 2900ppm. Pool math originally said 752 lbs.

Be sure you use the test strips correctly. Put it in 1" of water and let it sit until the little strip at the top turns from yellow to black.

I haven't had good luck with the strips, but the main thing is, if the SWG is happy, everyone is happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is what I do when I add salt.
I appreciate feedback from more experienced "Poolies" on my process.
First thing, shut SWG OFF.
Put multiport on Recirculate
Scoop the salt from the bag and sprinkle slowly into the water flow from return jets.
it seems to dissolve quickly this way.
After adding a 100 lb bag, put the brush on and agitate the entire bottom as best you can.
12-24 hrs later, I put multiport in Filter and turn SWG BACK ON.

THE so called self proclaimed "EXPERT" that built my pool showed me how to jam a 100 pound bag down the skimmer. At first I didn't know better myself.
Then I read all I could find on the net about having a salt water pool.........EVERYTHING, I read said, NEVER PUT SALT DIRECTLY INTO SKIMMER.
After a few months, I removed my SWG cell. Ohhhhhhh my god, just about completely blocked across the plates. At this time, the SWG was only 4 months old.
I wish I had a picture.
I soaked it for an hour in a 20% muriatic solution, it looked like brand new.
I just took it out to inspect it 6 weeks ago, still completely clear, no scaling or build up.

NEVER add salt directly into skimmer.

Captain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.