Constantly Backwashing Filter -- Help

Jul 22, 2008
Dallas, NC
OK, a new swim year, and the challenge of getting my swamp (we have attracted tree frogs) cleared up.

I didn't cover the pool this winter (first mistake) and due to illness I was not able to maintain the pool. I have started on the pool today, and have a concern. I know very little about sand filters, and used the information on the "InTheSwim" website to pick out my pump/filter set up. I just made my last payment on the pump this month, and just hooked it all up and started it going around 2:00pm today.

Pool condition was horrible, many living water critters. There are apparently lots of leaves in the bottom, I probably filled three 5 gallon buckets with leaves off the bottom, even though I can't see the bottom.

My problem is that the pressure keeps rising on the filter and it worries me. When I started everything today, the "clean" pressure was 8-10, and the instructions on the pump say that you need to backwash when the pressure rises 6-8psi. So, I have been doing that, but that puts me at backwashing around every two hours, depending on how much I am stirring up the water. Is this normal? Have I messed up and not bought the right filter/pump combination? After backwashing it drops back to around 10psi, and I am backwashing after a rise of 8psi.

Info on pump is in my sig and here is a link (if it works) to what I bought....help?

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... und-pools/

That is a very small filter, so it is going to need frequent cleaning. The more stuff you can bring up off the bottom with a leaf net the lighter the load on the filter is going to be. None the less, you are going to need to babysit the filter for a while till the water clears up some.

You should also read Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis. The more intensive you can be about adding chlorine frequently, the faster everything will be cleared up.

I guess when I looked at that filter, I was only thinking "maintenance" and not "intensive cleanup effort". Now I look at the website and I could have gotten the 18inch filter for less than $100.00 more. Why didn't they have that sale this winter????

I definately am babysitting and I am very hesitant to leave it running over night or while I am not here tomorrow.

FC = 1.0
CC = 2.5
TA = 90
CYA = 30
PH = 8.2

You should bring your PH down to around 7.5. Other than that, just keep up adding chlorine to shock level. Remember that you should ignore PH readings when FC is above 10.

You don't have to leave the pump running when you are not there, even though it is normally better if you do. Just make sure that you run it for at least 30 minutes after the last chemical addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.