Help me diagnose/repair/replace(?) my Automation system!

Scout101

Aug 18, 2015
North Kingstown, RI
Had this as part of my 'newbie' thread, but breaking out in hopes of getting more attention/help in this area.

Background: Bought the house with pool late last summer, opening for first time this season. Pool was closed the previous 3 seasons. SWG pool. Mechanics appear to be in shockingly good condition (pump is fine, filter works, pipes not leaking, liner is good, etc).

What's NOT working well is the automation system. Appears to be an Aqua Logic AQL-P-4 from what I can tell. Immediate issue is that the display screen doesn't, um, display anything. It will backlight itself when you press buttons, but no text at all. You can imagine how difficult it is to use under those conditions!

Functionally, it seems to work. I can turn on the pump and lights through the manual buttons. Sometimes the pump on/off creates a bit of a 'stutter' or tripping sort of click and you have it hit it again to turn it on (or off), but in general, it controls things. Since there's no screen and I can't set things, obviously have no control over the SWG, which is going to be the biggest driver for doing something quickly. Still in SLAM, but sooner or later I'm going to need to plug that in and expect chlorine to appear in the pool.

The downside is that I have no AUTOMATIC control of anything. There's a timer running in there that I can't access, so it tries to shut itself off at like 8pm and around 330am. I've managed to get around that by using the Service button to bypass the timer and leave it on. Usually, hard to make sure I'm in that mode without much feedback.

Buttons also all blink when in operation. Service button blinks, check system blinks, pool blinks, and filter blinks. Only two lit in the photo, but trust me, all blinking when in use. Stop the filter/pump, obviously stops blinking that one, etc. The labels for Control and Light are backwards (apparently not a great attention to detail by the electrician), so it's the lights that are off for the time being, obviously power to the control system is applied. The LCD screen, as you can see, is not displaying anything. When you press buttons, the backlight for it comes on, but no text at all. Looks to be wired up for a wireless controller, but was not present/found when I bought the house. Had renters for 3 years previous, no idea if it ever existed or was lost/broken along the way. Guess I could buy one to see if that does the trick, but an expensive troubleshooting technique if the stuff has to be replaced anyway, or it isn't compatible with whatever new system gets put up.

Thoughts on where to go from here? Anything I can really run without buying more/new stuff? Opened it up to look at the board, everything seems to be connected just fine and no bulging caps or bad solder that I could notice quickly. Even worth spending the $200 on a replacement control panel to see if that works, or $350 or so on a new board? Or does it sounds fairly pooched and I should be thinking about new equipment? No idea how old this stuff is, house was built in 2005, best guess for pool would be 2008-2009 timeframe. Means salt cell is probably also due.

Help, please!

IMG_2191.jpg

Yeah, just not sure if there's any way to test prior to doing that. Don't want to buy that part, and then buy the control board, and then be on the hook for the whole $1200 swapout anyway.

Any chance the blinking lights tell me anything?

Obviously swapping out just the black control panel is very easy, just don't want to waste the $200 if it's not really the problem (like the board isn't sending date, for example). The display still lights up/backlights, just no text.

- - - Updated - - -

It also looks like it originally should have come with a remote wireless control too, but it did not turn up when I bought the house. That would be the easiest way to troubleshoot whether it was the local display or the board. And buying one likely won't help, as I imagine I need to see the screen to pair them?

I am not sure what the lights tell you, looking at the manual.
Problem is there are about 20 different error messages that are typically shown on the display, and clearly that is not going to work :D

The Check System light flashes when there is any error, but could just be the normal reminder to inspect the cell and not that there is anything wrong.
The Filter light blinks when in low speed (maybe not applicable to you).
The Service light will blink when in timer mode, meaning the service mode will automatically turn off after 3 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out the manual for the remote online. Maybe you could buy that and allow troubleshooting. At least if it was dead, you could replace the main box and reuse the wireless stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember that without the SWG cell, the whole base system is $600-700.

Yeah, tough to troubleshoot blind!

Service light 'always' blinks when it's doing anything. it should stay solid on the first push, and I definitely have it in full service mode vice the timed mode (as it bypasses the timer still 7 or so hours later). Even the pool/spa light blinks, though. Don't quite get it, and like I said, looks ok mechanically.

Wouldn't be opposed to just ripping it off the wall and starting over, as the salt cell is likely near end of life if it's still any good at all. So worst case, it would be a ready spare for when it dies. If I need board + screen + salt cell anyway, may as well buy together, right? Minimizes incompatibility if I buy one of the wrong parts.

Buying the remote looked like a possibility, but like I suspected, you have to be able to use the base unit to 'teach' the wireless remote to talk to the base unit. Without the code on the screen, they won't find each other. A wired unit looks possible, but only a good decision if I replace the faulty part of the system (or all) with the same or compatible model. And a bad decision if something on the board damaged the local control and then fries out the wired additional one.

it also doesn't look like they sell my model anymore. If I were to replace it, what looks like the most similar/compatible system? The Aqua Plus looks similar, but obviously includes the salt cell. Pro Logic seems slightly different but still in the same idea. E-Command looks kinda most similar to the actual controller I have, if a slightly cheaper model. There's not a ton actually going on in this panel, I need to control: Pump/Filter (currently 1.5HP single speed, but would like option to replace with 2-speed or VS eventually I guess), lights (no idea if LED or Incandescent, I'd guess not LED given estimate on age), SWG (of indeterminate age, likely needs replacing in the near future) and a heater (currently non-functional NG heater, toying with idea of moving to heat pump next season). Think that's kinda it, no other water features, no spa, pretty straight forward.

Given all that, and the obvious desire to keep things as similar as possible for ease of installation, what would you recommend? I'd love to not pay the pool guy to diagnose and then mark up the price on the same unit installation. I'm comfortable enough doing light electrical work, especially if it's essentially just transferring things to an identical/similar box. Easy to kill the sub-panel from the main panel indoors, so shouldn't be any safety concerns and can reuse breakers from existing pool sub-panel.

Best thoughts? And ideas for best/cheapest places to pick up what you're recommending, please :)

Other thought being: If I replace the board and the local controller, am I actually buying anything by swapping out the rest other than headache and work? I don't know if there are any other smarts or parts that would need replacing, or if I'd just be overpaying for the new weather-tight sub-panel at that point.

The Aqua Plus and the Pro Logic P4 are identical. The former just includes the salt cell. At least that I what a learned a few years ago.

I really am not sure what to recommend. Could be as simple as replacing the screen unit, or maybe it is worse.

You could try calling Hayward and asking about the flashing lights, maybe they mean something to them.

Pool guys were by today to diagnose, but didn't hear back from them after, so need to follow up there. Annoying, the wife was home, but they didn't knock or ring the bell. Nothing changed from before other than they took a sharpie and corrected the two mislabeled breakers...

Waiting to hear what their labor/markup would add to it, but looks like I can buy the PL-P-4 ProLogic setup for $580, which is only like $50 more than trying to get a new screen and board for the existing unit. Seems like it makes sense, if that's the right one to use as a replacement for the older AQL-P-4?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Pool guys checked things out and said it looks like just the screen/local controller. They're replacing it Friday, hope that does the trick. Could save a little doing it myself (appears to be a 3 minute job), but letting them do it in case they're wrong and that isn't the problem so they have to take it back or replace it if they fry it or whatever. For the price difference, seemed worth it. Hoping that solves the problem, although sure once the screen pops on, it'll tell me the salt cell is too old/dead too :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.