new pool owner, opened pool and got green Jell-O...few questions

May 8, 2016
Howell, NJ
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info you guys provide. Just joined the site when I bought the test kit. I've been reading alot the last week or so and figured it's time for me to chime in before I make a real mess :)

My name is Billy, I'm in NJ. I have a 30,000 gallon inground pool with DE filter and just put in a new Pentair VS because the last one was totally rotted and dead when we opened the pool (will get that in my sig in a bit). I just bought this house at the end of last summer. First time having a pool ever. I had the pool going OK at the end of last summer (at least I think) and opened it to a green mess this year.

Here is the summary of what has happened, I figure this is the best way to start.

1) Pool opened to green mess, couldn't start the filtration because of dead motor. Replaced motor 3 days later. The guy who replaced it said he "put in some shock" for me although I didn't know they were putting in chemicals. Not sure what he put in.

2) I had used those cheap test kits with the strip that I got at the pool store last year. Used them once I had the pump running to test the water to get started on. After reading a bit online it seemed the first thing to do was to make sure the ph was right before I did any more shocking or anything. The test strips seems to indicate that my ph was too low so I added some soda ash I got from the pool store last year.

3) Waiting a day and then tested the CYA. It seemed low according to the strips, don't remember how low but low enough that I added 3 gallons of the liquid stabilizer I had from last year.

4) Went to pool store to ask some questions. Their answers were suspect. Spent some money and got annoyed. Realized I really don't know what I'm doing, started reading more online. Found this site.

5) Ordered the TF-100 kit and waited for it. Under the advice of one of the helpful people here helping someone else, I went ahead and bought a bunch of generic bleach and started adding 1 gallon per day and brushed the pool every day. Did that for 3 days.

6) Got the test kit yesterday. An hour before sunset I did some tests. Forgot to re-test ph and went right to CYA and FC. CYA read at 60 (I think) and FC 10. According to pool math I needed 5 gallons to get to shock level of 24. Added those 5 gallons last night and brushed the whole pool after that.

7. Today about an hour ago I went ahead and tested the ph. It's high, about 8.2 right now. CYA tested between 70 and 80 it seems, not sure because I'm having a bit of trouble with the method used to test that. I tried doing it outside with my back to the sun but it's very sunny out and there was too much shimmer and glare in the tube to be able to tell. Went inside and tried it a few times, each time it seems to test at 70-80. FC is 25.

So my questions are...

How is my FC still at shock level? Shouldn't it be a lot lower since I added that bleach last night?

What do I do about the ph? Should I continue with the SLAM or should I stop and get that ph lowered?

One note about the weather here...it's been pretty gross here for the past 10 days. I think we got 4 hours of sun this past Sunday and other than that it's been cloudy and rainy for like 10 days straight. Today was the first day of sunshine since I opened the pool.

Here are some pics of the pool as of right now. It is very noticeably less green than it was yesterday. Yesterday it was dark green, today it's much lighter and I can see the third step. Some pics:

IMG_20160512_103919198[1].jpg

Here's one of the steps:

IMG_20160512_104004742_HDR[1].jpg

What do you guys think? What's my next move? Thank you!!!

Billy

Hi Billy! :wave: Let's try to help ...
How is my FC still at shock level? Shouldn't it be a lot lower since I added that bleach last night?
The FC will drop over time. Don't worry.
What do I do about the ph? Should I continue with the SLAM or should I stop and get that ph lowered?
Yeah, that needed to be done first. :( Let the FC drop below 10, confirm/adjust pH to about 7.2, THEN crank the FC back up.

The CYA is extremely important Billy. Just practice it as much as you can - outside though. Here's my go-to hints:
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Don't forget to read the SLAM page everyday to refresh your memory on things. Let us know if you still have questions.

6) Got the test kit yesterday. An hour before sunset I did some tests. Forgot to re-test ph and went right to CYA and FC. CYA read at 60 (I think) and FC 10. According to pool math I needed 5 gallons to get to shock level of 24. Added those 5 gallons last night and brushed the whole pool after that.

7. Today about an hour ago I went ahead and tested the ph. It's high, about 8.2 right now. CYA tested between 70 and 80 it seems, not sure because I'm having a bit of trouble with the method used to test that. I tried doing it outside with my back to the sun but it's very sunny out and there was too much shimmer and glare in the tube to be able to tell. Went inside and tried it a few times, each time it seems to test at 70-80. FC is 25.

So my questions are...

Billy

What percentage of liquid chlorine did you put in?? If you bought 12.5%, for a 30,000 gallon pool, 1 gallon would raise your FC about 4. Since you were at 10, 5 gallons of 12.5% would have taken you to around 30. Then you came back down to 25 overnight.

Also, since you just bought the house a year ago, and inherited the pool, are you sure it is 30,000 gallons? The previous owner my have rounded up, or not have even been sure himself. The next time you add FC, check the level before you add, then about 30 minutes after you add, and compare that number with pool math. It will help you determine the actual volume of water.

Did you test your PH level before or during SLAM? SLAM will mess up your reading, so you shouldn't worry about PH while SLAMing unless you knew it was way too high before you started.

I did 3 days before with the cheaper test strips and according to those strips it was quite low so I added some soda ash to bring it up. When I got the good test kit I forgot to check it again and went right into the SLAM. I guess I was anxious to start getting rid of the green crud.

What percentage of liquid chlorine did you put in?? If you bought 12.5%, for a 30,000 gallon pool, 1 gallon would raise your FC about 4. Since you were at 10, 5 gallons of 12.5% would have taken you to around 30. Then you came back down to 25 overnight.

Also, since you just bought the house a year ago, and inherited the pool, are you sure it is 30,000 gallons? The previous owner my have rounded up, or not have even been sure himself. The next time you add FC, check the level before you add, then about 30 minutes after you add, and compare that number with pool math. It will help you determine the actual volume of water.

I used generic bleach from walmart/target, they are 8.25%. The 30k I calculated myself using some info I found online about using the average depth and size. It's "L" shaped with the long part at 18X38 with avg depth of 5.5 feet (3 feet in shallow and 8 feet in the deep) so I calculated that part to be right around 28k. Then I calculated the small part of the "L" (shallow end) separately which was I think 8 feet by 12 feet or so with a depth of 3 feet which would add another 2k.

Visually the pool is still getting better. Here's the current status:

Wed night - CYA 60, FC 10 - Added 5 gallons of 8.25% generic bleach
Thurs morning - CYA - 70-80, FC 25 - nothing added
Thurs night - FC 20 - nothing added
Today - FC 15, ph 7.5, CYA 80

That CYA is high ugh! I'm going to take a run over to the pool store and have them test and see if the CYA numbers are close. Assuming this is accurate what's the next move? Seems like I have two choices:

1) Continue the SLAM with that high CYA and add another 5 gallons of bleach which I need according to pool math to get from 15 to 30 FC.
2) Drain some of the pool and get that CYA down. But I don't think that is necessary at this point?

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't bother with the pool store test. Your K-2006 is a great tool. Trust it. But you do need to confirm the CYA so you can maintain the proper FC. Test the CYA as much as you need to with the same solution. You're FC is fairly strong, so I would just continue the SLAM unless you find your CYA to be over 90.

Straight from the SLAM page: Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

As long as you used poolmath to add the right amount of borax to bring up your PH, I wouldn't worry about a high reading right now. That is totally normal during SLAM.

For the CYA levels, yes they are high, but you can SLAM with high CYA. Just know that your SLAM level is 31 FC at 80, so you will need to likely get out of the 20s to be successful. You are holding a decent amount of chlorine during the day, so I would say bump it up and continue if you don't mind buying and using more bleach than you have been.

Since you will be needing a SLAM FC in the 30's, here is alittle tip.

You will be using a lot of reagent with an FC over 30. Even with a 10ml sample, at a SLAM FC of 31, that is 62 drops for every test. So, I went out and got a very accurate 5mL medicine dropper for $4 at the local Walgreens.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...210356-product

This takes the testing to 1 drop per FC, is still fairly accurate because of the dropper, and saves on the reagent. It gets you a close enough reading while you are waiting for the FC drop to slow down. Once I'm at normal level, I won't be using this dropper, but it is great for doing SLAM testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good luck and keep us updated. Also try to update your signature with this:

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

To change your profile or signature, see the Settings link, just below the Pool School button towards the top right of any page. Then select Edit Profile on the left, and you can edit your location. Click on Edit Signature to change your signature.

UPDATE: Pool water is significantly better! I figure 2 more days at shock level and I'll be very close to done. FC has been coming down to about 25 every day from 31-33 where I need to be at shock level. CYA holding at 80. Every day I've been putting anywhere from 1 - 3 gallons of bleach to maintain FC at 31-33.

Question on the filter ... I've been backwashing almost every day as necessary. I read someone said to backwash when the pressure gets 25% higher from the reading you take right after you backwash and add DE.

So, do I need to keep adding DE every time? I have been adding anywhere from 3 - 5 DE scoops every time and I'm blowing through it. I assume this is the right way to do it? Do you think I'm adding enough? From my research they say for a 48sq feet filter to add around 6 - 8 cups right after you completely open and clean the filter and less when you backwash. Is that about right?

After your 25% psi increase and subsequent backwash, you will need to recharge some DE back to account for what was lost during the cleansing. I don't recall off the top of my head how much, so you'll have to look at your model filter and specs to see how much to add after a backwash. Add too much DE and there's not enough grid space to grab and the extra DE just gets blown back into the pool. So yes, less DE is added at backwash as opposed to a total tear-down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.