Small crack on Hayward multi-port valve. What to do.

SeanG

May 9, 2016
Winnipeg
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

Need some advice regarding the valve on my sand filter. I think I over-tightened my pressure gauge when I re-installed it this spring, creating a small crack right where the gauge is. A very slow leak has started.

I know I can replace the whole thing, or even the valve, but I'm wondering - is there a way to repair something like this so it doesn't leak? Some sort of marine-grade compound? Also, I "think" my PSI dropped, from about 17 PSI to 15 PSI. Would that be caused by such a small crack?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Hello Sean and welcome to TFP. :wave: While sometimes we can squeak-by with an epoxy repair (i.e. marine type, JB Weld, etc), repairs to items on the pressure side are always suspect to failure simply because of the pressure. Very hard to keep any good seal from the outside when water is pushing out. I would recommend replacing that part before it completely ruptures. Did the leak cause the gauge to read lower? ...... it's very possible.

If you still have questions or want to discuss some more, I would recommended adding your pool info to your signature and perhaps also posting a pic so we can exactly what your gauge looks like. Have a nice day.

Thanks Texas Splash. What you said is what I suspected. It's likely only a matter of time until the situation worsens, and then I'm shutting down the system and replacing it ASAP.

I will eventually fill out a profile, when I figure out exactly what I've got! I inherited this pool with the house, and it is taking me a while to get up to speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.