Rigid PVC instead of pool hose for above ground pool

I need new hoses and new ones are really expensive. It thought about making my own using flex PVC or spa hose, but then it occurred to me I could use 2" rigid PVC for less than half the cost. I'm running pipe to two skimmers and two returns for a length of almost 125FT total so the flex pipe will get expensive as well.

I don't mind cutting the rigid pipe to fit and buying unions for mating it to the ball valves. My concern is the corners. I can leverage 45 degree adapters to make my corners more gradual and not so sharp, but it won't be as smooth on the water as a nice bend from a flex pipe. Has anyone used rigid PVC that can offer any feedback as to what the whether the water pressure suffers due to the sharper turns?

Thanks for any advice!

Check online or with your local plumbing supply house, they make 22-1/2 degree elbow fittings in sch40 PVC. That would create smoother transitions. Cost might be higher.

Less turns is better as you'll suffer less head loss but you'll be much better off long term using rigid PVC. More durable to sun exposure and pests. I doubt you'll notice any difference in back pressure going from flex to rigid, especially with 2" PVC. It is certainly possible to bend rigid PVC into curves as well, but it takes some practice and technique to do it properly and make it look nice. Usually you'll see that when a pool builder is running PVC around and in ground spa.

Yeah, I've seen plumbers use a propane weed torch to generate the heat needed to soften PVC. Definitely an "art" to it though; I'd probably wind up collapsing the pipe if I tried it...

I agree with the comments above and want to point out that in our experience the more expensive valves make ones life happier. Other one tends to use four letter words while replacing the less expensive valves. Jandy valves will in the long run reduce the number of four letter words you utter, guaranteed.

I've bent pvc using the sand method on 1" pipe. The way I saw to do it was to dry fill the pipe with sand. You then dump that measured amount of sand in a pan and heat it to about 200*F. Take your now hot sand and put it back in the pvc wait a few min for the heat to transfer then bend your pvc. Once cooled the pvc will retain its new shape. The sand help prevent the pvc from kinking and collapsing while bending. It worked really well but was a lil difficult and working with hot sand is dangerous. It would be easier to get long sweep elbows from your local plumbing supply store. Or if you don't have a local plumbing store near by, http://www.supplyhouse.com/ is a great place to go for all kinds of plumbing fittings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.