Spring pre-opening woes - algae threat?

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
Here in New England we keep fighting the elements and nature and it’s an ongoing battle. This is why there are so few swimming pool owners.
Spring blossom is great, as long as the flowers are on the trees. Once the petals are all over the place they are a nuisance. I’m planning to open the pool in about two weeks from now but too much tree debris finds its way inside the pool through the gap between the winter cover and the pool edge.
My question: Can this cause an algae bloom? Should I open now instead of waiting two weeks?

That depends on a number of factors. The most important one is the water temperature. If the water is below 60 degrees the chances of algae are small and any algae that does grow will be easy to kill. If the water is above 60 degrees the chances of algae are much higher. It also matters just how much debris is getting in through that gap. Lots of debris means more chance of algae.

Water_man said:
Spring blossom is great, as long as the flowers are on the trees. Once the petals are all over the place they are a nuisance.
Hey, at least you don't have a ginormous weeping willow next door, like I had growing up on the South Shore. Little fluttery leafy things drifting down onto the pool all season long.
--paulr

Is this a blue or green pool? Pics included

Water temp is 60 deg. As mentioned, I intend to open in two weeks.
FC=CC = 0.
pH = 7.3.
I assume CYA is now 40 due to season closing dilution.
Circulation was achieved by running the robotic cleaner all the time for the last couple of weeks.

This is how the water looks now. Is it considered blue or green?

3526298354_9057e643d2.jpg

3525491477_714119f41b.jpg

3525491451_3a088618be.jpg

Re: Is this a blue or green pool? Pics included

Water_man said:
Water temp is 60 deg...I intend to open in two weeks.
FC=CC = 0.
pH = 7.3.
I assume CYA is now 40 due to season closing dilution.
Circulation was achieved by running the robotic cleaner all the time for the last couple of weeks.
This is how the water looks now. Is it considered blue or green?
How much matter is suspended in your water? The deep end (middle picture?) looks considerably 'greener' than the shallow end (pic's 1 & 3?).

Can you get complete water readings? I would not assume a CYA level yet.

How long does it take your pool and filter to clean up after a mild/moderate algae bloom? That's what I'd be asking if I was planning on opening in two weeks, one of which is almost gone.

Re: Is this a blue or green pool? Pics included

How much matter is suspended in your water? The deep end (middle picture?) looks considerably 'greener' than the shallow end (pic's 1 & 3?).

All pics were taken at the deep end. It's just a matter of shooting angle. I don't know how much is suspended but the water is definitely not clear. Some previous years openings were algae-less but water wasn't clear either. It took about 2 days to clear. You can see floating tree and flower debris from this season.

Can you get complete water readings? I would not assume a CYA level yet.

I don't know how sigificant it would be because I can't guarantee thorough mixing. Since last year I opened with CYA 50 (first year in the "program") I assume this year it would be 40 or a bit less.

How long does it take your pool and filter to clean up after a mild/moderate algae bloom? That's what I'd be asking if I was planning on opening in two weeks, one of which is almost gone.

Last year I opened a real green pool because I hadn't taken the precautions I took this year. It took almost a week of hard work. Other than that I don't have an experience with mild/moderate algae bloom.

If it were me I'd open ASAP. I don't see the water temp going down any at this point. If you have the time to do it now, the only downside I see is the cost of running the pump an extra couple weeks. Upside to opening now... You have enough time to get it balanced, kick on the heater for a bit and be swimming on Memorial Day. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.