Spa Light keeps blowing GFCI

Dec 29, 2015
Chino/CA
So, I go outside to brush the pool down and I flip the both pool and spa light, then they shut off........ok, weird. The pool light will stay on and doesn't trip the GFCI........turn that off and turn the spa light on and almost a second later it trips the GFCI every time. I replaced the bulb back in Dec. when I put it back in I broke the little piece that the screw goes inside of the niche. What could be the problem?

Is this an issue?

My pool lights are doing the exact same thing. We changed the GFI thinking that was the problem and it wasn't. I wonder if water in getting into the unit. Our lights are the color logic by Hayward and are not cheap. The pool store says they are just bad and we need to replace them. They are ten years old. I'd like to know if it's something we can fix.

I doubt it's the retaining ring.

I would take the fixture out and the bulb. Look close at the fixture. Replace the bulb carefully making sure it seats correctly. In a perfect world I would replace the gasget too.

If that doesn't work I would open up the J box and inspect. Is everything connected and tight? Is there slack in the cord?

When I opened it up back in Dec. I changed the gasket because it was pretty bad, its been working fine for the past 5 months. The only thing I did was last weekend I drained 50% of my pool water, including the water in the spa. Im wondering if the drain/re-fill of the water moved something???

This are the pics of what it looked like when I took it out:

I wont' be able to open her up until tomorrow morning, but Im already thinking about replacing the entire fixture, I've been looking at the exact replacement part (Pentair 78106000) but am starting to think about LED........

Whats the pro's/con's of going LED
My main pool light is still incandescent, if the spa light is LED, would it look weird?
I really dont want to spend more than $500, what are my choices?
Are there any changes on the electrical side if I go LED?

The main con of LED is that they appear to not be as bright but that probably does not matter in a spa. I doubt it will look weird.

Color changing LEDs can be installed with out any special wiring changes they are just a pain to change colors. There are some with remotes that makes that easier.

Go look on Inyo pools and Sunplay, Amazon etc and compare prices. I have Jandy which I like but Hayward and Pentair are just as good.

Changing the fixture means disconnecting the cord at the junction box and pulling cable through the conduit. Watch a couple of You Tube Videos (I really think Inyo has one) and if you don't think that's for you hire an electrician or a pool service.

On Friday morning I started the mission that I accepted, I 1st went to Home Depot and bought a replacement GFCI, that took some time because I had to figure out the wiring!!!!! After a couple of hours messing around with that (I hate dealing with electrical and plumbing, so this is like both!!) I came to the conclusion it was the light. Went to the local pool store, got a light and a pool light wedge, came back home and started the tear down process. I disconnected the old light and before running the line I connected it and bingo!!!! The GFCI didn't trip anymore, so at that point I definately knew it was the light. So, continued by tying a small braided rope to the old light cord and pulling the new one thru, that was fun......NOT!!! LoL

So get everything buttoned up and back together and I now have my spa light back and the GFCI doesnt trip.

One question, I seem to have one of these in my spa and 2 of them about the middle of the pool on both sides, what are they for?

For the spa I'm guessing its to tie a thermometer to, now for the pool, it's to tie the floating ropes ( guess that's what you'd call them) from one end to the other to denote the shallow end of the pool from the starting of the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.