I've Failed - Black Algae - Clear Water

TFP_wanna_be

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2010
Orlando, FL
Hello... I'm back - I fell off caring for our pool and have been on a yo-yo cycle of green and blue...

Few weeks ago, I had a dark green swamp. I mean, it was bad and with air bubbles from my system, it was a mess... Wife and 3 kids say get it together dad...

Found the air leak (o-ring on basket drain) purchased new grids 36sq and cleaned the filter twice. We have a outdoor dog (lab) and a large sand box.. Kids and dogs add sand to the pool.. Lots of sand!!

I think I've got the pool coming around and come back to see what the BLACK SPOTS are on the 6yr old surface. Never had any issues until I let it get swamp green...

I've been using acid and CL running the pump a lot to get this progress...

Total fail here - My numbers...
Ph 7.7 (drop test)
CL 5.0+ (drop test)
TF100 kit
CYA approx 100-110
TA 60
CC 0
FC 2.5
CAL 600

Trying to attach pictures - where do I start to attack this algae?

Thank you!!
Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Welcome back!

Please add your location to your profile so it shows up over there <---- so that we can make an appropriate recommendation for your CYA level.

Do the fingernail "test" like Marian said, add your location like pooldv said. THEN drain some water to get your CYA down. Use pool math to see how much you need to drain to get it to where you need it. I would take it down to 30 since you are going to need to SLAM the pool if that does turn out to be algae.

Lets get that cute baby in the pool!

Kim:cat:

I'm on my phone so I can upload pictures... Thanks! That baby picture is now a 6yr old, but have a new baby to get in the water. And trying to have a party in a week or so (yikes)

I'm located in central Florida - updating my profile soonest

I read over the pool school for the black algae and wasnt able to scrap any from the sidewall. I've been brushing it with a basic nylon brush for weeks in part to get the green away.

I did find an area on the grout line and it appears to pass the test. Looked black in the water and when smeared, is a rich green.

I'm going to re-read some pool school.... I only know that if I approach in the wrong order, I won't get the results. Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 175
Okay.... Based on the pool calc with a 20K pool, it says drain 70% of the water for a goal of 30
I'm going to double check my CYA numbers. This morning... Thank you!
60 CYA is fine for Florida. No need to go wild with the draining. Besides, you don't want to float your pool.

Have you considered a stainless steel pool brush? I think your plaster is cured by now so it'll be safe.

Forgive me.... I don't seem to follow the SLAM
I do have:
Free and clear
Clean charged filter
Ph is 7.7 (I can tune it in)
Can run pump 24/7

My current CC is 0 (preferred post SLAM)
Water is clear
12hr FC Test and no change in FC, still 2.5

I get the replacing water. I can refill with city or well water. Current pool water is well water.
This will get my CYA to 60...

With my shock number of 24, do I change my goal to 24? (894oz) of CL...
On my way for CL & SS brush.... Be right back!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that is motivation!! My new SS brush is getting to work here shortly...

So I'm clear about the SLAM with a goal of 24.
With the pool full ensure PH is 7.2-7.5
Then drain off half the pool water
Refill water
Hit with 900oz of liquid CL
Question:CL all at once or 120oz every few hours?

Here in Orlando also, just completed a Slam, even got a chocolate Lab. Mine won't get in the pool though. Most well water around here is very high in sulfur, are you using it or city water. If you have hose bib hooked up to irrigation meter, I would use it.

I use a combination brush, wonder if the S/S would be good for Stonescape finish?

Great! I just became a Jr supporter... Like to include pictures and face the facts, there are costs with running this site...

I'm now filling... Using well water. The original refill after resurface was well water. I was concerned, but it seemed fine. This time I want to have more comfortable water - I was merely keeping it clear, but it wasn't comfortable for the kids. Swim one weekend and shock the next weekend... It's a process I guess - I hope I'm getting closer to taking better care of it.

You are definitely in the right place for great pool water! I haven't ever shocked my pool or missed a single day of swimming that we wanted to swim since the day we filled the pool in 2012. Also haven't ever drained it. TFPC rocks!

Thanks for supporting TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.