Rain and balancing my water

SMWill42

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2008
Carrollton, GA
Hi all,

We have had a lot of rain here in my part of GA ever since I opened my pool at the first of April. Water was clear when I opened. Did shock since FC was 0. Got chemicals perfect then came the rain just about everyday since then. Chemicals stayed good for about 3 weeks then the CYA started to go down so had to add extra bleach ever since. High winds with most of the rains so pine tree debris from my forest in my backyard gets blown in the pool. Major vacuuming required everyday. Also pollen from trees have fallen in pool. Its a battle to keep up with this.

There are several good things about the rain though. We have had drought situations here for about 3 years. Last years' water bills went sky high if you went over a certain amount and mine were more than tripled almost quadrupled during the summer months. This year I have been able to vacuum most of the debris in the pool to waste (when water starts overflowing in the skimmer vacuum down to normal fill line) without refilling the pool and we are not under drought conditions now so water usage is a little more lax. I normally do not vacuum to waste but with all of the algae this spring I have done several times.

Now maybe this year I can pressure wash my metal roof and my siding on the north side of my house which has been green with its own algae problems since the limited water use. I was just wondering how other with so much rain have tackled their problems with the rain and their pools. Susan

We are having similar problems in North Texas. I needed my CYA to come down some anyways, but we are on the bottom end now. I added borates about a month ago, using boric acid from chemistrystore.com, and am keeping them at 30ppm using Borax (which is pretty cheap like bleach). I am not experienced enough to say for sure, but I think that is helping to keep the rain issue from turning into an algae issue for us. The water is staying clear- I can see every detail of the dirt and leaves that the rain keeps depositing in the bottom of my pool.
We also use a solar cover- it does not keep the stuff out of the pool as well as I would like- you can only do so much when you get 4 inches of rain in one day. But, it does reduce FC loss. I am adding a large jug (182 oz) of 6% Walmart or Target bleach every other day. Without the cover, I expect I would be adding more like a jug daily. The sun comes out between the rains, and it gets sauna steamy, so evaporation has not been an issue, but chlorine loss definitely would be.
Like you, our lakes were down, and we were under drought conditions and water restrictions for several years, so the rain is good from that aspect, I just wish it would rain less over my house. I want to swim!

We had another torrential downpour early a.m. Clean bottom now has debris again. I just scooped out what I could a few minutes ago and will vacuum again today if it doesn't rain after supper.

Amjohn I am like you just wish it would miss my house for a few days at least. It is watering the garden though.

Susan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.