New Member with the Algae Blues

Mr. D

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2016
Huntsville AL
Hi everyone

Great forum you have going here. Long time pool owner in Florida and now Alabama.

I uncovered this year and was presented a mess of a pool, worst I can recall ever having to deal with. Started out a week ago by throwing in some snake oil from Walmart and a couple bags of shock which got me nowhere, I think this pool just laughed at me.

Next stop was the Jewelry Store, I mean Pool store, told them what was going on and they did what they always do which is run the water sample in their fancy computer and $200 later I walked out of the store.

15,000 Gal / Oval / Vinyl, Sand Filter / 1.5hp pump (new) / Polaris Cleaner on 1hp pump

May 6 Test 1
FC - 0
TC - 0
CC - O
PH - 8
TA - 57
CH - 55
CA - 96

I knew I didn't want to throw in a lot of expensive "Poolife" products or I went with just adding the 4 bags of shock she said I needed and brushed everything down. Woke up the next day to a green pool that didn't look any different than the day before.

May 7 Test 2

FC - 0.18
TC - 0.32
CC - O.14
PH - 7.9
TA - 60
CH - 105
CA - 94
Walked away this time with 5lbs of shock and 250lbs of sand. Changed out / cleaned the sand filter and added the 5lbs of shock. Let that cook for awhile.

May 8 Sunday

Hmmm still have a pretty green pool and I'm now out about $800. Sunday was spent looking at the pretty green pool and searching the internet for help and what do I find? You guys of course and some great YouTube vids on how to beat back the green monster. My big takeaway was 1) FC, 2) CYA, 3) SLAM and how the three work together.

May 9 Test 3 10AM

FC - 1.58
TC - 2.24
CC - O.66
PH - 7.8
TA - 69
CH - 122
CA - 78
Now this is my third trip into the Jewelry Store and the same girl has run all the samples and knows I have a Algae problem. She tells me my FC is good and wants to sell me some more snake oil. When I asked her about my high CYA she said we don't worry about that until its above 150.

I thank her for her time and tell I good on pool products for this trip. Done burning money in their store.

Went back to work and ordered a Taylor K-2006C test kit but it won't arrive until Friday or Tuesday next week.

1) Stopped at Walmart and picked up 10 Gal of 10% bleach
2) Drained 40% of water out of pool
3) Filled Pool (all nighter)
4) Added 5 gal of bleach to pool

May 10

I didn't have a test kit yet so from here forward I'm using WAG (wild *** guess) procedures to SLAM my pool. Came home to a somewhat blue pool and added 1 gal of bleach followed up with brushing.

May 11 Test 4 10AM

FC - 12.47
TC - 13.13
CC - O.66
PH - 8.1
TA - 72
CH - 104
CA - 52
Arrived home today with a very blue but cloudy pool, added another gal of bleach and brushed. I still need to work on my balance but for now I'm just going to WAG it until my K-2006 arrives. I will say the pool is 200% better than it was before I found this website.

Thanks
Dennis

My K-2006C arrived today and I must say a very nice kit and so easy to use.

CYA - 40
FC- 9
CC - .5
PH - 7.8
TA - 120
CH - 150

I just bumped the FC up to a Shock FC of 16 to start my OCLT. I have two of the three SLAM requirements so far.

Dennis

Holy smokes! How did I not see this thread all along? You certainly took the long, painful, and very expensive road to TFP, but I'm glad you finally found us and got your K-2006C. Congrats on the hard work and money (test kit) well spent. :good job:

Now that is awesome, knowledge is power and you just powered through, great job.. ?

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Thanks everyone, well 1.5 hr later I figured out how to get a picture off my iPhone, should not be that hard. Here are the before and after SLAM pictures.

BTW, this whole SLAM process should have cost me no more than $75 if I had found this site sooner.

Pool Before.jpg

Pool After.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWEET! :sun: That is a great improvement! Now look at this and see if any of this helps:

Here are some links you will need when you are starting up a pool.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.