How did my water get so clear?

May 3, 2016
Ridgefield, CT
I'm stumped. Pool has been open for a few weeks. SLAMmed the heck out of it for a week - blue, but hazy water. This then made the liner turn orange / brown (too much chlorine I guess) so I did the ascorbic acid treatment. This got rid of the brown stain. Gradually brought all the chemicals back up to where they needed to be. But water was still hazy. After that, over the course of 2 weeks I vacuumed, scrubbed the heck out of the pool. It was spotless. I cleaned the cartridge filter about 6 times. No matter what I tried I still had the haze where I couldn't really see the deep end.

All this time, the pool was uncovered day and night. Finally, I decided to put the solar cover in and not do anything about it for a few days, and then try again. Well, guess what - a day after I put the solar cover on the pool, my water turned crystal clear.

Does anyone know why this happened? I'm completely stumped.

My only thought is this: I don't have a drain at the bottom of the deep end. I only have one skimmer. So when I put the solar cover on, this forced the skimmer to suck in water from not just the surface but from a bit deeper down (since the cover sits on the surface of the water - effectively holding it in place).

Could this be it? Does a skimmer only clean the surface water, and not the water lower down? I have 2 return jets pointed downwards, to make sure the water gets stirred around. But maybe that's not enough for actually sending all the water through the filter?

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's completely clean. No sediment. I had no sediment before either (I spent so many hours vacuuming). The only variable between clear and not clear water was putting the solar cover on.

What are you test results?

Did your FC drop from shock level when you put the cover on?
What is your CH?

Thinking maybe calcium clouding from a higher pH due to the elevated FC level. When the FC came down, the pH also would come down.

No, no clouding. Even if there were - why would putting the solar cover on make stuff fall to the bottom, where it didn't do that for weeks with the solar cover off?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't have reading a handy. But I took chlorine down to zero for the ascorbic acid treatment. And have brought it back VERY slowly.

I have very soft water (I fill with water that's gone through a softener - I have a vinyl lined pool so I don't pay much attention to calcium hardness).

I am confused. You complained of cloudy water that cleared up with no apparent stuff on the bottom right?

Why are you now saying "no clouding"? I am not saying the cover made anything fall to the bottom of the pool.

Well, if the CH was low, then what I suspected was not it anyway.

I am confused. You complained of cloudy water that cleared up with no apparent stuff on the bottom right?

Why are you now saying "no clouding"? I am not saying the cover made anything fall to the bottom of the pool.

Well, if the CH was low, then what I suspected was not it anyway.

Sorry, I was saying that when I push a brush there is no clouding - meaning, there is not stuff on the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.