Salt Generator wiring question.

May 11, 2016
New York
First post, so glad I found this place! Inground pool came with new home, so being a new to pool and home ownership....I am trying to make it as low maintaince as possible.
I was looking to install a Salt Generator, but before I go proceed I just wanted some advice. This is my current setup, which works fine:

20a circuit——————>pool timer———————————> (1)220 outlet—————>Hayward 1.5hp 9.8a

Wiring for a separate 220 outlet would be too costly. Could I just have add a second 220 outlet to the current outlet? Essentially a dual 220 outlet on one 20a line and run both without any problems?

20a circuit——————>pool timer———————————> (2) 220 outlets = Outlet #1-Pool Pump Outlet #2-SWG

Thanks
Mac

Generally you run your SWG all the time you run your pump. So it should be on the same circuit after the timer.

A picture of what you have now would be good. I'm not sure what you mean by outlet. You mean a plug receptacle? Is your pump hard wired or corded?

Generally these are hard wired but some are corded.

Then you need to be sure you purchase a SWG that is corded. Then just run some conduit (with appropriate wire and ground) from the pump receptacle to a new receptacle that matches the plug on your SWG. That way when the pump turns on when the SWG turns on.

Thanks again for your help. The SWG will be a corded 220v as well. I was unsure, because I had one electrician tell me that a 20amp circuit would not run both 220 receptacles at same.
My electrical experience is not more then changing a light switch, but a pool pump at 9.8amps and SWG 1-2 amps seem like it should be fine on a 20a circuit?

Mac

If possible, you can open the outlet box and tie the cord from the SWG into the wiring in the box, or like mine you can run the cord directly to the timer. With the mechanical Intermatic timers, this is very easy to do.

No don't tie a cord into a box hardware a separate plug, it will cost the same as installing a receptacle. First, I doubt your electrician would do it. Second, one reason these are corded is that it subsitutes for the maintence disconect. (OK that's technically wrong, but for our purposes today it works) All electrical appliances associated with a pool except lights must have a maintainance disconect. NEC 680.12

I have a disconnect (breaker) in the same room with all my equipment. It even has a quick lever on the side of the box. You pull that lever and everything shuts down.

I forget sometimes that not everyone has a disconnect at their equipment.

Turning off the timer should have the same effect though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had the 220v recepticals installed and was assured by this electrician as well as Pool compny everything will work fine. I odered the Autopilot Nano Plus and will be installed next week. So I Just wanted to say thanks for the quick and informative responses I received. I hope this SWCG was worth the investment!

Thanks again,
Mac

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.