keep getting green algae

May 27, 2011
I keep getting algae. cya 50,ph 7.6,alk 90,cal 30. 33000 gal pool,vinyl liner. I keep my cl at 7ppm. At night I raise cl to the top limit of 9 ppm. I use the TF100 pool test kit. The water is crystal clear but there are algae patches on the bottom of the pool and some on the deep end wall slopes. Frustrating to the limit. Don't know what else to do. I follow your advise and no other. Thought about going back to tri chlor and their shock method but I am so happy with the water clarity and no issues with pool equipment and liner longevity which is now 7 years old. Please help me if you can.THANKS

Sorry to say.....but with 50 posts.......you are now one of US! Bound to have a niche or some place the little green devils aren't getting slapped good enough. And make sure it's getting brushed enough. But still.on ocassion..bad things still happen to good people as they say.

Yeah, little buggers hiding somewhere? And double-check water circulation perhaps? Toss a few ping pong balls on the water to make sure you're getting good circulation.

Have you done a deep clean on your filter recently? Maybe worth a shot.

I had a client with a pool your size with a similar situation when I took over. Depending on your circulation and your pump run time, you can develop "dead spots" where the FC isn't consistent and algae can take hold. I would try routine maintenance doses of Polyquat 60 algaecide as a preventive for this situation.

Factors at play: bather load, sun exposure, pump run time, adequate circulation in pool. We can expand on the latter 2 if you wish.... :)

I don't have any advice, but exactly what I've been going through for the past month. Kept trying to believe it was pollen. I check my numbers at least once a day and brush once or twice a day. I finally did my first SLAM yesterday. Had no chlorine loss overnight, so time will tell. Good luck. Post your results in case I need more help. ;)

Greetings. Why not do an OCLT at 10 ppm and see what you read in the morning. A short slam might be in order.

Also, do you happen to have a robot cleaner? If so, run it right at the same time you add your daily dose of chlorine, which will give extra help distributing mong dead spots. If no robot, you can brush near the suspect areas when you add ;)

I see youre already rounding up on the cya, whch is also a common cause for mismatch, so I can understand why you're feeling frustrated ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.