Hickory Creek, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hey everyone, I'm a newb here......we're in the process of deciding on the type of pool we want, and the biggest issue for me is deciding on the pool depth on the shallow and deep end.

We decided on fiberglass, and the builder we're going with has several nice Leisure Pools models that we like. The one that we like the most is the Allure, which is 16x40, with a built in spa and tanning ledge. My biggest issue with it is that the shallow end begins at 4'9" and the deep end is 6'8". We have 2 kids (6 and 9 (another on the way this coming Fall), and our 6 yr old wouldn't be able to just splash around in the shallow end because it's too deep. They both know how to swim, and I understand that he'll eventually be taller than the deep end, but my concern is him being able to enjoy it now, as well as the coming newborn. And on the deep end, I wasn't sure if it made sense to have a deep end that I couldn't just walk around in (sport pool). Our kids are great swimmers and love to jump in, so I'm not sure if having a deep end closer to 6' would be more practical for our needs. Is a deep end of 6' OK for cannonballing and jumping in? This would be the first pool we've ever had, so we're kind of new to the whole process, thank you!

My deep end is 7 (6 1/2 when adjusted to mid-skimmer). I can cannonball all I want, but no diving of course. I like it, and if I could've gone deeper I would've just for that ability to go lower. But our shallow end is about 3 1/2 feet which is nice because we can easily stand and play games. So that would be a concern for me - especially for the youngsters. Pools are like automobiles - what works for one family is horrible for another. Do what looks and feels right for YOU. Once you write that final check ... no regrets. :)

Hey everyone, I'm a newb here......we're in the process of deciding on the type of pool we want, and the biggest issue for me is deciding on the pool depth on the shallow and deep end.

We decided on fiberglass, and the builder we're going with has several nice Leisure Pools models that we like. The one that we like the most is the Allure, which is 16x40, with a built in spa and tanning ledge. My biggest issue with it is that the shallow end begins at 4'9" and the deep end is 6'8". We have 2 kids (6 and 9 (another on the way this coming Fall), and our 6 yr old wouldn't be able to just splash around in the shallow end because it's too deep. They both know how to swim, and I understand that he'll eventually be taller than the deep end, but my concern is him being able to enjoy it now, as well as the coming newborn. And on the deep end, I wasn't sure if it made sense to have a deep end that I couldn't just walk around in (sport pool). Our kids are great swimmers and love to jump in, so I'm not sure if having a deep end closer to 6' would be more practical for our needs. Is a deep end of 6' OK for cannonballing and jumping in? This would be the first pool we've ever had, so we're kind of new to the whole process, thank you!

Are the depths given above water depths or total pool depth? Depending on the skimmer placement, you could be looking at close to a foot or more below those dimensions if this is pool wall depth and not water depth.

Hi Otter, that's total pool wall depth, not water. I was under the assumption that the skimmer reduced it by a few inches, or am I wrong? The dimensions above are what's stated for the pool, so I was thinking that it would be close to 4'5" and 6'6" on each end.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the pool here....if you scroll over to the Specs slide, it looks like it's total depth, not water depth.

The Allure Leisure Pools USA

I too have a FB pool (although the '80's called and they are screaming mad that I still have their kidney shaped pool!) and my skimmer is placed so that it reduces my water depth about a foot. It is all about the placement so I would ask the installer what the actual water depth will be based on skimmer placement.

Wow that is a really nice looking setup.

I had a deep diving well (9 feet) and miss it, but my latest home/pool is satisfactory.

AFter going in for the first time last saturday I've deemed it extra kid friendly.

3 feet then to 4 feet in shallow (mostly 3 feet) then just after the skimmer in the deep end 7 feet,
but you can almost stand on the angled sides in the deep end.

Thanks everyone for the help.....I think that I will be going with that model after all. Another question, with a pool of this size (16x40), how many returns would one recommend? The pool builder says that he installs 3 returns with this model.....does that sound right? The price, installed is $44,925, which includes a variable speed pump, Hayward 250k btu natural gas heater and salt water chlorinator. It will be more since we're going to expand on our current decking.

Thank you

My pool is 20x40 and I have 3 returns. I always wish I had 4... or 5... or 6... My neighbors new 20x40 steel/vinyl wall pool has 4 returns. 3 should be enough, if 4 is possible and not too expensive I'd look into it. How many skimmers? 2 would be good.

What model SWG is included? If you can, get it upgraded to the largest cell they offer. Our general recommendation is to get a cell that is rated for TWICE your pool volume to allow for shorter run times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just spoke to the builder and they let me know that they can install a 4th return for free, though he says it's not really necessary. Also, the additional skimmer is $450. Is that worth it?

That SWG (Hayward AQR9) is rated for a 25,000 gallon pool. The model pool that I am looking at is 15k gallons....would that SWG suffice?

Also, the builder says that we'd be better off using a hose to fill the pool, as opposed to having an autofiller installed which would be an additional $650....is it worth it?

Thank you!

Where is New Caney? update your profile

I love my autofill and paid $600 to have one retrofitted into the pool at our recent house, but AZ has a lot of evap so I would have had to put the hose in every few days without it.

See what the cost is to bump up to the 40k Hayward SWG.

Is there a floor drain? If not, I would add the 2nd skimmer to have 2 suction lines back to the pump.

Where is New Caney? update your profile

I love my autofill and paid $600 to have one retrofitted into the pool at our recent house, but AZ has a lot of evap so I would have had to put the hose in every few days without it.

See what the cost is to bump up to the 40k Hayward SWG.

Is there a floor drain? If not, I would add the 2nd skimmer to have 2 suction lines back to the pump.
Hi JB, New Caney is about 30 miles Northeast of Houston.....I'll go ahead and update my profile. As hot and humid as it gets here, I'd have the same evaporation issues as you, so it looks like it might be a good idea. I'll go head and ask about that 40k model swg as well.

Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ours is 8 ft in the deep end and if I could have gone deeper, I might have... We spend all of our time jumping in and we have a bench in the deep end so we relax there. I know a lot of people get pools that does not really have a deep end but that is not for us.

Salt cells and filters- size matters, the bigger, the better. I would pay the extra for a second skimmer. You always place the skimmer on the side opposite the source of prevailing winds, but sometimes the wind shifts and it's nice to have a skimmer at each end. Bottom drain is nice, but not a necessity. Ask for all suction lines to be seperate runs to the equipment pad with a valve for each. AQR 15 (40k rated) is the SWG you want. And ask for a variable speed pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.