New member - Long time pool owner - scooperhsd

May 10, 2009
Youngsville NC
I've been a pool owner since me and the wife bought this house in Nov 1995. We've pretty much seen it all, I'm a regular handyman dealing with the mechanics of the pool. Have replaced 2-3 pumps, reworked plumbing,etc.

Pool - 16x32 feet inground, 19,000 gallons. Diving board at end, steps at the other end (outside of the 16x32). Vinyl lined, on 2nd liner in 25 years - this one was put in 2 summers ago when I ripped a hole with the brush. Our water supply is from our well - normal pH of the untreated water is 6.7. 1.5 horsepower Hayward Superpump, 300 pound Hayward sand filter, Claritec, and Hayward chlorine dispenser. Do have a Hayward 250K BTU propane pool heater, but it is OOC right now and I can't afford the propane to run it even if it wasn't. Lots of trees / shade. Youngville NC area (about 20 miles North Northeast of Raleigh). If I had to do it again - I'd get a heatpump poolheater.

Biggest vexing problem - getting the winter pool cover off when opening the pool without dumping lots of Crud into the pool. This usually takes a week or 2 to get cleared up. CYA is never added to this pool - whatever is in the chlorine tablets is plenty considering our shade.

Hey, Scooper,

Did you have a question other than tips on keeping the junk out of the pool when you pull the cover off?

FWIW, many of us here in NC don't cover the pool at all. I simply keep up with the leaves and junk on a little by little basis all winter and, after the oaks are finished torturing me in the Spring, I have a nice clean pool. There is no easy answer but, for me, keeping the pool open seems to be the least work and the pool looks decent most of the winter.

How does your water look?

I also live in NC and I do cover my pool in the winter. I use a small submersible pump I bought at Northern Equipment to keep the water off of the cover. Cost about $40.00. In late fall I rake the leaves off of the cover. I never really thought about keeping the pool open over the winter until I read about people doing it here, but I think the amount of trees I have nearby makes it impractical. It also seems a waste of energy to run it when no one is using it. I took the cover off my pool yesterday and no gunk got into the pool. The water looks very clear, there is a bit of dirt and a few leaves, but nothing too difficult to deal with.

The key to getting the cover off is making sure it is fairly dry and having enough people to help get it off. I have removed it by myself and the fairly clean water does look pretty nasty afterwards.

Johanna