Flow Rates for Varibale Speed Pump

Aug 28, 2013
Marin County
I just had Heliocol Solar panels as well as a new Pentair 2 VST pump installed, and I am wondering what is a optimal flow rate for turning my pool 13,000 Gallons). I currently have it set (Pool Only) at 1600 RPM for 6 hours, and higher when the Solar kicks on. I am just trying to see how low I can go (RPMs).

Remember that solar heating is more efficient at higher flow rates.

The solar panels generally want about 1GPM per 10sqft. It is not trivial for calculate the actual flow rate though.

As long as the panels are cool to the touch, you have enough flow rate. You also need to be sure not to go too low as air could be sucked in through the vacuum release valve (VRV).

The Pump has a set speed set by the the Solar installer when the solar turns on, and another speed set for filtering just the pool. He set the pool only at 1600 RPM for 6 hours, and I am curious to see if I can lower that to 1100/1200 for 8 hours. Just trying to take advantage of the VS pump and cost savings on wattage.

You could probably just shut off the pump after solar is done and never notice a difference. The only reason I run 4 hours per day is because of solar. During the winter months I run only 1 hour per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.