Triton II TR100 vs Tagelus TA100? Any major differences between them?

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
My wife wants to at least look at sticking with sand filters (I want cartridge), and we are getting quotes on the Pentair TR-100 (w/ separate 2" MPV valve) and the Pentair Tagelus TA-100 (w/ integral top mounted valve). Besides the integral valve and the top vs side mount connections, I'm not seeing any obvious differences between the two filters. Am I missing something?

I tried searching for a comparison, but I keep getting results referring to "Total Alkalinity of 100" when searching for "TA100" on here.

It is TR-100, that might be your problem.

My house had one that was installed in 1989. Along the way with some remodeling and such going on around the house, we did something to it somehow. Maybe my lack of experience caused an issue. Anyway, rather than fix it, I replaced it with another one since it was so old. I did that 5 years ago and haven't had a single problem since. I'd do it again in a split second if I needed a new one, but I figure I'll get 25 or more years out of it.

And I just noticed I have T-100 in my sig line, so I need to go fix that. :)

Never mind... the price of the cheaper looking version of the sand filter, with sand, looks to be about the same price as the cartridge filter I am interested in. For the same price, I actually get a full 50% more filtration area versus the bare minimum filtration area in a sand filter.

Mods... can this thread be closed/locked/deleted?

You can not really compare the filtration area between sand and cartridge and DE filters.

For a 26k pool, general recommendations would be (although with your short season you could go a little smaller):
380 sqft cartridge
29" (4.6sqft sand)
72 sqft DE.

So I am not sure what you mean by 50% more filtration area of the cart over the sand.

I filled out a PDF worksheet, APSP-15, and it said for my pool that I should have as a minimum:

192.6 sq ft for cartridge (and I want a CCP320, which is nearly 50% more than the minimum according to APSP-15).
36.1 sq ft for DE
4.8 sq ft for sand (the TA/TR-100 would be right at that minimum, so I'd need a TR-140 to get more filtration)

FWIW, I'm adding a heater to extend our season, so I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference or not? I'm all for hearing out ideas to go smaller on the filter, but my understanding is that "bigger is better" for filters. I'm leaning towards that CCP320, but if we can save a bit and get the CCP240, then that works for us.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the main build/design thread for what I'm doing. I thought this thread might help to get a quick answer to the TA vs TR filter question:

Well, my recommendations, based on forum experience, are above.

I don't know what that worksheet your filled out is and trust very little of the pool industries recommendations anyway ;)

Well, my recommendations, based on forum experience, are above.

I don't know what that worksheet your filled out is and trust very little of the pool industries recommendations anyway ;)
OK. I was basing this off the Hydraulics 101 thread in Pumping Station, the APSP-15 info, and some other users who have similar sized pool to mine who said the Clean & Clear Plus 320 is great and the 420 would be even better.

Based on what you said about shorter seasons though, would the 320 sq ft of the CCP320 be sufficient for a short season up north?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Likely should be fine.

I use the tables from the Hydraulics 101 thread, but we have found it better to recommend double the size for some of the filters (cart and DE). Part of that doubling is due to the hassle of cleaning the cart and DE fitlers, so going big often results in only having the clean the filter once a season ... making it truely troublefree.

Likely should be fine.

I use the tables from the Hydraulics 101 thread, but we have found it better to recommend double the size for some of the filters (cart and DE). Part of that doubling is due to the hassle of cleaning the cart and DE fitlers, so going big often results in only having the clean the filter once a season ... making it truely troublefree.
After a lengthy talk with the PB, we decided to use our TR-60 tank but add a 2" MPV to it (it has 1.5" now) and set it up 3" off the pad so that we can drop in a TR-100 later, if we so desired. The PB is going to inspect our TR-60 and use it if it's OK, or go ahead and put in a new TR-100 if there's any major problems with the 60.

As much as I like the cartridge filter, I also like the idea of saving nearly $1000.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.