Powdered shock raises CYA how much?

I have read through pools school a few times. That was the reason for my question. I wasnt sure if there was a way to calculate how much calcium/CYA would be in
the shock and increase my levels. My calcium is a bit low (even though not really a concern for the vinyl) so I think I will be ok to use up what I have.

plaiming said:
I have read through pools school a few times. That was the reason for my question. I wasnt sure if there was a way to calculate how much calcium/CYA would be in
the shock and increase my levels. My calcium is a bit low (even though not really a concern for the vinyl) so I think I will be ok to use up what I have.
Jason's Pool Calculator has a section near the bottom of "effects of adding chemicals" that will answer your question! :wink:

Link in my sig.

plaiming said:
However, you did not ask about calcium, you asked about CYA! They are different.
For reference, for every 10 ppm of FC added by:
cal hypo you will also add 7 ppm CH
Dichlor you will also add 9 ppm CYA
trichlor you will also add 6 ppm CYA

It takes about 26 oz of 48% cal hypo to increase the FC in 10k gallons by 10 ppm
1 lb will raise 10k gallons about 6 ppm FC and about 4 ppm CH. No effect on CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.