Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Powdered shock raises CYA how much?

1. Back To Top    #1

Powdered shock raises CYA how much?

How much increase in CYA will a 1lb bag of powered shock raise per 10,000 gallons?
    Bag says:
    45.6% calcium hypochlorite
    52.4% other
    26K gal, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 18" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Rite SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Powdered shock raises CYA how much?

Calcium Hypochlorite granular shock does not contain CYA. It will raise your calcium levels, however.

Dichlor granular shock raises CYA.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

THIS Pool School article:
    pool-school/types_chlorine_pool
    should be helpful to you.

I would suggest to read through the entire pool school section of the forum (at least twice!), the link is in the upper right corner of every page and also in my sig. It will answer a lot of your questions!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have read through pools school a few times. That was the reason for my question. I wasnt sure if there was a way to calculate how much calcium/CYA would be in
    the shock and increase my levels. My calcium is a bit low (even though not really a concern for the vinyl) so I think I will be ok to use up what I have.
    26K gal, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 18" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Rite SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by plaiming
    I have read through pools school a few times. That was the reason for my question. I wasnt sure if there was a way to calculate how much calcium/CYA would be in
    the shock and increase my levels. My calcium is a bit low (even though not really a concern for the vinyl) so I think I will be ok to use up what I have.
    Jason's Pool Calculator has a section near the bottom of "effects of adding chemicals" that will answer your question!

Link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by plaiming
    However, you did not ask about calcium, you asked about CYA! They are different.
    For reference, for every 10 ppm of FC added by:
    cal hypo you will also add 7 ppm CH
    Dichlor you will also add 9 ppm CYA
    trichlor you will also add 6 ppm CYA

It takes about 26 oz of 48% cal hypo to increase the FC in 10k gallons by 10 ppm
    1 lb will raise 10k gallons about 6 ppm FC and about 4 ppm CH. No effect on CYA.