I was trouble shooting my issue and found a link to this awesome forum.
I am a relative neophyte in the world of pools as this is only my 3rd season. I am learning and certainly willing to get into the nitty gritty.
I recently opened my pool and discovered I have 0 flow while on filtration. It never gets started. I can see the water leaving the return line and entering the chlorinator. http://www.clearwater-usa.com/pdf/LM_du ... 112002.pdf (shows the chlorinator)
The water just kind of ebbs and flows in there but nothing comes out the return jet. I have great backwash and waste flow. No issue there.
So for a break down of what I have done.
- Ensured the water was above the skimmer.
- Checked for any obstructions in the skimmer or the feed to the pump (nothing here and my backwash/waste flow is great)
-Removed the pump and checked the lint and hair basket, impeller, pump housing for any broken things or obstructions. Nothing was found.
- Removed return line completely and flushed it out with a hose to see if there was anything obstructing it. Nothing was found.
- Removed and returned the sight glass - Nothing odd.
- Removed the waste line and added fresh teflon tape and put it back nice and snug.
- Disconnected the chlorinator, made sure the connections were air tight and there were no obstructions.
- Basically I have checked every joint from the skimmer to the return jet and made sure things were were snug and leak proof. All looks good. I know that air can get sucked in but I see nothing indicating that and I get zero flow.
I ran the backwash for over 5 minutes and then a rinse for 30-45 seconds (nice clear sight glass) and the flow is really good.
I turn back to filtration and nothing. Recirculate does nothing either. Same thing, the chlorinator starts to fill but never does and nothing gets fired through the return. There is an air space in the chlorinator that every other time gets filled with the air being forced out the return jet.
I really am not sure what is causing this. If it was clogged filter media would recirculate not skip that?
I am at a loss as to why I have no flow on filtration or recirculate but backwash and waste work fine.
Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have.
Edit - Sorry forgot to mention, the entire system is only 3 years old.