Solar Covers - The 'economy' version

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
What do you all think about the bubble wrap style of covers? Things Like

1. Longevity

2. Do you have to buy a reel? If so does it need to be the width of the cover or are these covers flexible enough to wind onto a smaller reel without damage. Or can you just manhandle them when required, my pool is about 35 ft by 12 ft or so, figure of 8 shape.

3. General performance.

4. Links to one you have used and liked.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Houston so it stays pretty hot here.

They work great, but generally you only get a couple of years out of one.

You want a reel and you want it wider than the cover. Manhandling these covers without a reel is a chore.

I cut mine in 2 and built an in pool roller using the method mas985 came up with, cost about $35 HERE is his build Thread. The only thing I did different was I used stainless steal screws because the plastic clips were too expensive. This is our first year with the pool but it seem like we will only be using the cover April and May then perhaps towards the end of the season I think mid season it might get too hot if we leave it on all the time.

-Ours is a blue colored cover.
- Going on 3 yrs now and no signs of life issues or anything.
- I only use mine for about 2 months total, in April/May and then in Sept. I found storing it and cleaning it properly before storing it out of the elements tends to help its life.
- Originally had it as one solid cover but manhandling that beast was a chore! Cut it into 3 sections which are easily handled and can sit on the side of the pool when in use and easily placed back on at end of day.
Its a "must" when using a heater and I like how if we go out of town for a few days or get busy the cover will capture any leaf/tree debris on top keeping the pool cleaner.

I like blue covers because it shields the chlorine from uv and thus use a bit less bleach during the season.

The water just beneath the cover still gets plenty warm when the sun is on it all day.

8 mil is the way to go as others said...much easier to handle.

I now get them on ebay because you can save usually 30 to 40 bucks.

The one I just got (16x32, Oval, 8 mil, blue) was on ebay for 67 dollars buy it now & FREE shipping!

That same company selling on ebay, I checked their website and that exact cover sells for 99. So they
are moving inventory at a discount apparently, if you buy on ebay.

I didn't have a Reel at my last pool/house and it was always messy getting it off and on,
but the new place had one and wow what a difference that makes. And it's just me taking
it on and off.

Personally, I have found absolutely no difference in heat gain between the blue and clear bubble covers. So I go for lighter weight and cheap rather than color. A couple of years ago, I got two AG pool covers at 5 mil each and they are a breeze to take on and off because they are so light and they have lasted almost two years now but will probably need to be replaced next year.

This is what I use as a roller but it was with my old clear cover: DIY Solar Cover Roller

Here is my new cover (with roller) that looks like two giant solar rings:

y3mfergKBFpVgmVAcVLt7CQViqF05lee79sPGzPGRQEsN5Jp7mK8xt8s3V1Uw-PTNOSUEda2V3KyH8QqgAB0Ss2Kk5WTbfI1BdF4YEC2LN17yErFa_-xqCw8DjgbVIsZSsGNnMnDCtklqnEkjJBFm7LgTeprnf-ye_n2cikueDaB6Q

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We used a solar blanket for a few months last year. It worked well but the handling was a pain in the axe.
It is possible for one person to do it, though.

Your pool is not as wide as ours so maybe it will be easier for you.
(Ours is ~18' wide. I know that because I recently ordered a reel for the solar blanket.)

Pool dv and Sparkle , thanks much appreciated.
Mas985, I had a look yesterday at your reel, looks very good. Your pool looks very similar in style to mine. I'll probably just buy the cover and then see how I go.

Thanks folks:cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.