Can we swim while the Dolphin M400 is cleaning?

Mar 14, 2016
Wichita, KS
I have a brand new pool and the Dolphin M400 is part of the package. I'm used to my kids swimming at my friend's pool while her vacuum is going. However, her vacuum plugs into a return and not into external power. The manual for the Dolphin says not to be in the pool while cleaning. However, it takes 2.5 hours to clean!! I'm afraid I'll struggle to find 2.5 hrs every day... with no one in the pool... when I'll be there at the end to take it out (I think I'm supposed to remove it as soon as the cycle ends). I watched an Aussie YouTube professional review of the cleaner (Dolphin pool cleaner review - by Healthy Homes TV Australia - YouTube) where the reviewer SWIMS WITH the Dolphin, observing it's cleaning function. So, now I'm thinking the manual warning is just in reference to cord entanglement. My kids are definitely old enough to watch out for that. Do any of you know? Is there an electrical risk to swimming with the cleaner or would it just be cord entanglement? Do any of you swim with your robot cleaners?

Thank you!

The part that goes in the pool is low voltage, 24 volts on the ones I could find stats on so as long as the power supply is not in a position to get pulled into the pool the chances of a harmful shock is almost non existent. Even if the power supply did get pulled in as JVTrain said the GFCI should kick in.

It's fine. I think the instructions say not to because they are afraid of children/adult children of A) Getting their fingers are toes caught in any of the moving parts OR B) Someone pulling on it and the power supply falling in the water.

I suspect you will find you only need to clean your pool about once a week. Throw it in on Saturday morning when you wake up. Go to the spa for a massage and take it out. That's what I do every week -- NOT.

It uses 24 volts DC so if it failed you would possibility get a jolt getting out of the pool so I wouldn't recommend swimming with it in. Kids feel electric shocks more than adults.

Just to be clear a failure of the power supply (transformer) is likely to cause the GFCI to trip. A failure of the unit itself -- probably not -- because the GFCI does not work on the secondary side of a transformer.

I thought that, too, but I've read several comments about the vacuum that it is important to get out of the water quickly after the 2.5 hour cycle. So... I don't know if I should leave it all night!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your input! I've learned to trust the experts on here:cool:. I feel pretty good about swimming with it, now... thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect you will find you only need to clean your pool about once a week. Throw it in on Saturday morning when you wake up. Go to the spa for a massage and take it out. That's what I do every week -- NOT.

It uses 24 volts DC so if it failed you would possibility get a jolt getting out of the pool so I wouldn't recommend swimming with it in. Kids feel electric shocks more than adults.

Just to be clear a failure of the power supply (transformer) is likely to cause the GFCI to trip. A failure of the unit itself -- probably not -- because the GFCI does not work on the secondary side of a transformer.

24VDC is not derived from a transformer.

I think that is a great idea, put Flipper (Dolphin) In the pool just before you go to sleep, I will start doing that.
I just bought a Dolphin S-100, the transformer knocks my 220v down to 29v DC
it is safe to swim while Flipper is swimming, anything being used near the pool should ONLY be plugged into a GFI receptacle. All of my outlets are GFI.

Because sometimes I come home from a trip and want to jump into the pool that day. And I like a clean pool.
Hi mate,

You should buy the one that has timer on it, so you can set daily or weekly timer and run it over night. From what I know is that the output watt is very low for someone to die from shock. Btw I did swim for the whole time while the Pandora Smart was running (usual running time is 2 hours).

Nothing happened and nothing would happen but have someone around in case if something happen then they can pull the plug haha. Other then that there is not much involved. They clearly say not to swim while in use because they want to protect them self because you never know about electric item and the idiots around the world how they look after their electric item which can be faulty, not serviced etc. So common sense is they want to be protected by not recommending to swim.

However if you bought brand new dolphin cleaner and you want to swim you can, the issue is you like clean pool and you and your dolphin both jump in the pool at the same time so it would take 2 hours to clean the pool and by the time you would have ideally finish swimming as well. So have someone put it in the pool before you arrive home (if that is possible).

Hope this helps.

Hi mate,

You should buy the one that has timer on it, so you can set daily or weekly timer and run it over night. From what I know is that the output watt is very low for someone to die from shock. Btw I did swim for the whole time while the Pandora Smart was running (usual running time is 2 hours).

Nothing happened and nothing would happen but have someone around in case if something happen then they can pull the plug haha. Other then that there is not much involved. They clearly say not to swim while in use because they want to protect them self because you never know about electric item and the idiots around the world how they look after their electric item which can be faulty, not serviced etc. So common sense is they want to be protected by not recommending to swim.

However if you bought brand new dolphin cleaner and you want to swim you can, the issue is you like clean pool and you and your dolphin both jump in the pool at the same time so it would take 2 hours to clean the pool and by the time you would have ideally finish swimming as well. So have someone put it in the pool before you arrive home (if that is possible).

Hope this helps.

The concern is a bather getting tangled.
A good safety regimen includes removing the unit before swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.