DE filter problem

May 5, 2016
El Paso tx
Hello all this may be a dumb question but My wife and I have had this underground pool for about 2 years and it's been hard to keep maintained. I just recently found out that I have a de filter which I have not been adding any de too the time that I have lived at my home. This explains the cloudiness and why it's impossible to keep clean. The owner before me never told me and I'm to dumb to have figured it out long ago. My question is that I have heard that I would need to purchase new filters he says the old ones are now ruined, but would I be able to add de now? The filters have no tears on them and no visible signs of damage that I can see. They are quad 60 de filters and the they cost about $50 each and there are 4 of them. Any advise would be much appreciated.

There's a link buried within the link Casey posted: Use and care for DE filters

To chemically clean the grids/ nest:
1) Have a bucket/container large enough to hold the entire assembly - A large plastic garbage can works well.
2) #1 Add some TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) to the water or some electric dishwasher detergent to the water and soak the grids for at least 3 hours - this will "de-grease" the membranes and is the first step in cleaning them, rinse with hose and get ready for step 3.
3) Dump the container, refill with water and add muriatic acid to the water so that you have a 10:1 water:acid mixture and soak the grids for at least another 3 hours, this will clean any calcium off of the grids. Rinse grids again and reinstall them in the filter.
4) Now, run pump and bleed off the air from the filter and add 100% of the DE the filter calls for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.