Algae building all over

Re: My perfectly clear pool has green spots!

algaeman said:
hey...new guy here...found this site as a suggestion online, got algae building all over the bottom of my salt pool. any quick fixes?

Please visit the Pool School section of the forum, and start with the "Read this Before you post" and then start your own thread, rather than hijack this one. :mrgreen: :wink: Moved to it's own topic. JasonLion

Hi and Welcome,

Read up on clearing algae with lots of bleach at the pool school. Test water be patient and persistant in cleaning up the algae. :lol: :-D

Frustratedpoolmom-He did not hijack a thread, he started his own and wanted help.

Good Luck,
Susan :wave:

In any case, FPM gave good advice when she said to visit the pool school section of the forum and to post a full set of test results. Without them we really can't know why your pool is green (but I have a few ideas that are the most common mistakes owners of SWGs make).

I will say that if you are looking for 'quick fixes' or 'magic in a bottle' to clear your pool you have come to the wrong place but if you are looking to learn how to properly and economically care for your pool without getting ripped off by the chemical merchants at the pool store (so you do NOT develop problems like you now have) you have found your new home!

It's your choice.

algaeman said:
hey...new guy here...found this site as a suggestion online, got algae building all over the bottom of my salt pool. any quick fixes?
There are no quick fixes. Everything takes some patience, *and* the right water chemistry.

1) Read and re-read the Pool School articles.
They'll help you find out some of what you need to know.
2) Update your profile so the moderaters will know aht equipment you have.
Pool type, size, pump type, chlorination method, water features, etc.
3) What are your water readings?
Without them even the best are just guessing and they won't guess. They must have your numbers.
4) Chemical "treatments" (a loose term meaning buying lots of "stuff" at the pool store) won't clear algae any faster or better than bleach and brushing.
It just costs more money and sets yourself up for more algae and expense in the future.
5) I use bleach to shock the pool in the spring when I open the pool (literally millions of leaves), when I find dead critters in the pool (I live in the woods), and after a the kids have a big pool party.
The SWG makes it easier but pool maintenance still takes some time.

I have a SWG so I spend 5-10 minutes each day on pool maintenance. My pool stays clear, clean, sanitary and is a "Trouble Free Pool" 8) .
Right now listen to what people are recommending and do what they suggest. Your pool will become a "Trouble Free" pool too!!

frustratedpoolmom said:
SMWill42 said:
Frustratedpoolmom-He did not hijack a thread, he started his own and wanted help.

Actually, the post was originally part of another thread and one of the moderators moved it. :wink:

Who wants to confess? :whip: :cat: :king:
um, the site administrator signed his edit in green in the above post, so me thinks he already fessed! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SMWill42 said:
Hi,

No fpmom. When I opened the post there was only his post and your response so I thought he had started his own thread.

Sorry
Susan

No need to apologize, the post was moved to start a new thread but that was not immediately obvious to non-Mod Squad folk. :wink: No worries. :wink:

Poor Algaeman is going to return to this thread and wonder how the heck he ended up in this crazy place! :lol: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.