Just received my new Taylor K-2006C - Please tell me how my pool looks.

eostrike

Silver Supporter
Mar 14, 2016
Chino Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello,

I am a new pool owner as many of the new subscribers on this forum. Our pool went in service at the end of February 2016. As many I was going to Leslie’s weekly and each time I left I was spending $100.00 or more for chemicals they said that I needed. I ended up and purchased a Pool Master Premier Deluxe 5-Way test kit and all seemed well for the Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity and Acid demand tests that I had been performing. Then I came across this site and everyone says the Taylor K-2006C is a good kit. Well I received the kit today and performed tests with this kit. Can some of the pros look at this and tell me what it all means and how the pool is looks. As everyone else I want a healthy pool.

FC – 6
CC - .2 (Comparator was light pink when I added 5 drops of R-0003)
pH – 7.8 (2 drops of R-0005 to drop to 7.4)
TA – 120
CH – 220 (When I added 5 drops of R-0011L it turned light pink not red)
CYA – 60

Pool is 30k gallons and has a Pentair IC40 SWG.

Based on the figures above does the pool look good or will it need to assistance? I know I will need to add some acid to lower my pH to 7.4 but what else do I need to do if anything.

Thanks you all for your comments!

Looks good! Over the first year the ph will slowly creep up, just maintain with acid. The TA may change as well. Just be diligent with your testing and you'll get the swing of things.

OH, most important enjoy the pool and get a good floater. Not the inflatable type. The good foam type. And an adult beverage. That too. :)

Thank you frustratedpoolmom.

When they say the color is supposed to change to red for some of these test does light pink count as red or do you keep adding more drops to get red?

What about combined chlorine? Mine was light pink.

Also with my pool master kit the alkalinity is 110 and with this the taylor kit it was 120. I know I want to be between 80-120 so it looks like I am at the high side here, that is if this kit is more accurate than the pool master kit I have been using.

Chemically, it looks okay. Is the water crystal clear and sparkling yet?

With a SWG you might want the CYA a little higher. Hold off on adding any until you can do the CYA test in full sunlight, because you might be higher than you read after work today. Bright light is important.

Yes, pink counts as red on the TA test. What you're really after is to see a color change. Mine always ends up what I call Barbie Pink.

Thanks Richard. Yeah I tested the water ~7:00 PM tonight after I finished dinner. The water has looked perfect since day one. I personally do not see anything wrong with it but wanted this new kit since everyone talks highly about it. I am now testing new things that my $23.00 5 way test kit did not do :).

- - - Updated - - -

Great, I just did not know if I had to keep adding drops to get it from light pink to red. Richard confirmed this as well that any shade of pink is what we are looking for.

UPDATE:

Tested at 7:00 PM on 5/10/16

FC – 6
CC - .2
TC - 6.2
pH – 7.8
TA – 120
CH – 220
CYA – 60

Before going to work this morning I poured in 6 cups of home depot brand muriatic acid. This is a lower grade than what Leslie's sells. I think I will purchase Leslie's when I need more as it was a noticeable difference.

Tested at 4:00 PM on 5/11/16.

FC - 6
CC - 0 (So if I look from top down it looks a tad pink but from the side it was completely clear.)
TC - 6
pH - 7.6
TA - 100
CH - 230
CYA - 54

How does the CH and CYA look at this time? Last night I changed my SWG from 60% down to 40% as I think the FC may be higher than Pool School says it should be.

No one pointed this out to you yet:
For the FAS-DPD chlorine test, use 10ml of water so that each drop is 0.5ppm ... saves a lot of reagent that way and is precise enough.

Also note you should always keep adding drops until the last one causes no further change, and then do not count that last drop.

For FC, the key is to not let it drop below the minimum for your CYA, being a little high is fine.

Also, there is no point in testing the TA, CH, and CYA so often, they will not change that quickly. Call your CYA 60ppm (although you might want to raise it to the 70-80ppm range) and then only test it every few weeks or month. Same with the CH, monthly testing is fine.

Since the CH is slightly lower than the recommended levels, keep your pH above 7.5 for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you jblizzle. So I have a partial bag of conditioner left from Leslie's. I believe it is about 2.5 pounds left in the bag. Should I pour that in to get CYA up higher? Also since the pool is only a few months old is this why CH is low? Will it climb as the pool gets older?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CH will go up due to evaporation, especially if you do not get a lot of rain. Mine rises about 125-150ppm per year.

Sure you can use that stabilizer to raise the CYA, just put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return jet or put it in the skimmer.

According to PoolMath, 2.5 pounds will add 10ppm of CYA.

Thank you for this information. Rain,,, what is that in SoCal, lol.

Ill do the sock trick in the skimmer basket. Leslie's originally had me just pour it in the skimmer directly. They said it will dissolve over a two week period in the filter.

Ill report back on CYA once it completely dissolves.

Is 6 on my FC okay or should it be lower.

I will look back at the pool calculator but it was a little confusing. Meaning I was not sure if you put all your figures in and it calculates or you do each one separate line by line.

You are overthinking the results on the kit. You have more leeway than you suspect.

What I would really like to see you learn is why we are testing for those things.

Do you know why we test for TA? Do you know why we test for Total Alkalinity?

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That is the starting point to answer many of your questions.

Again, most of the tests do not require the precision you are thinking. Learn what the results mean and what to do about them......then you'll become a real TFPr

Thank you for your comment. I read the ABC's a few weeks back but will do it again this evening. I was already used to using my Pool Master kit which is a bit different than this one with less tests. Your right I may be overthinking this but after spending $90k on this backyard and doing the maintenance myself I want to be sure I am doing it correctly. I never owned a pool before. Like anything once you learn it everything should be fine. So far I think I think I have done well.

Okay it is 6:30 AM and I just placed the remainder of my conditioner in a sock which is now in my skimmer basket. I am guessing it may take a few days to dissolve so I will update my CYA in a week or so and see if it went up. Thanks guys/gals!

Good morning all,

We just had our first pool party on Sunday and this morning I took my new test results. Can you please tell me how it is looking from your perspective? Eventually I will be comfortable enough to not need to ask so many questions. Funny story,,, yesterday I went to Leslie's to get some more acid and the guys was surprised that I did not bring in a sample water like I had been. Actually it has been about 1 month since I had been there and while I was going there it was weekly.

I told him I am now testing the pool myself and getting the help online to make my pool trouble free :). He said in the winter time it is slow there so at least come in sometime to see me as it gets lonely, lol.

Here are today's results taken at 7:00 AM.

FC - 2.6
CC - .2 (How to get this down to 0?)
pH - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 200 (Color change was more purplish to me than blue, eyes are getting old)
CYA - I did not test this time around as I added 2.5lbs of conditioner on 5/12 and waiting a week or so before testing, that is unless you all think I should test it now. Prior CYA results were 60.

Thanks for your comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.