Confused about Baking Soda via Pool Calculator

Me again, LOL!!!

I bought baking soda (the large box) which was on the Pool Calculator configuration but I'm confused as to whether this is the right stuff????

I have the Borax (20 Mule) and I am ready to add it into my pool but I am unsure if there is a "method" ~ is there a stickie about this anywhere? I don't want to mess this up!?! Also, how do I add the baking soda as well???

Many thanks everyone!!!

FunInTheSun said:
Me again, LOL!!!

I bought baking soda (the large box) which was on the Pool Calculator configuration but I'm confused as to whether this is the right stuff????

I have the Borax (20 Mule) and I am ready to add it into my pool but I am unsure if there is a "method" ~ is there a stickie about this anywhere? I don't want to mess this up!?! Also, how do I add the baking soda as well???

Many thanks everyone!!!
Hi Amy,

Can you post a set of test results?

Borax raises your pH and baking soda raises your TA. Just want to be clear :wink:

You should take a look at the recommended levels article at Pool School. Depending on what kind of pool you have and what you are using for chlorine, it seems likely that your numbers are already in the recommended range.

Also, when you do need to adjust both PH and TA you should do them one at a time and then retest. Changing the PH changes the TA and changing the TA changes the PH, so you need to be careful when trying to change them both at once.

Jason,

The chlorine level was zero so we added 1 shock treatment (granular) earlier today. Our levels are recommended to be between 3-7.

The pH level was 7.2 and the recommended level is to be between 7.5 - 7.8 ~ I believe I should add Borax to compensate for this

The TA level was 80 and the recommended level is to be between 70-90 so I believe it is okay to hold off on adding any Baking Soda.

Is this right????

The thing is, the strips are so inaccurate. I would agree with Jason, 7.2 on a strip is something I would not adjust without another source for test results to compare it to.

If you can get a cheapy PH/OTO test kit from Wally world to hold you over until you can get one of the recommended kits, then you can test the PH with that before you make any adjustments. Those PH tests will be more accurate than the Strips. Your TA is fine where it is, if it's accurate...

A small adjustment like that, yes you would use Borax. But better testing is called for here. :wink:

The other thing, not mentioned at Pool School just yet, is that PH tends to drift up for most people. So your PH will probably come up on it's own, without any effort from you. A pH of 7.2 or higher is alright for swimming, so there isn't any need to adjust it right now. If it goes down any further, then you should increase it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.