My perfectly clear pool has green spots!

Hal3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am using BBB with a low level of Trichor tabs from the feeder.
My pool has always been perfectly clear.

Borate 10 - 15
Ph 7.4
FC 4 PPM
CC < 1 PPM
TA 150
Calcium 300
CYA 50

Temp 82 degrees
Polyquat on board

Leslie's advises "Green to Clean" with $80 worth of products.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hal

[attachment=0:2hnuq62q]Algae 2.jpg[/attachment:2hnuq62q]

[attachment=1:2hnuq62q]Algae 1.jpg[/attachment:2hnuq62q]

Attachments

• Algae 1.jpg
    Algae 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 631
  • Algae 2.jpg
    Algae 2.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 612
If you haven't already, you should take a look at the how to shock your pool article at Pool School.

With CYA at 50, your FC shock level is 15 or 16. To raise FC from 4 to 16 in 27,000 gallons requires 672 oz of 6% bleach. By the way, you can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to do this kind of calculation.

Of course the total amount of bleach you need might be much higher, it depends on how long you need to maintain FC at shock level.

Do the stains feel slimey, do they brush off and return?

Take one of your tablets for your inline feeder and gently rub the stain. If it fades, the stain is organic and shocking/brushing should take care of it, as well as maintaining proper circulation and FC levels to prevent it from returning.

If rubbing/holding the tablet on the stain for several minutes does nothing, let us know. We can have you check the stain to see if it's metals.

Hal3,

Welcome.
If you'll get enough chlorine in your pool to shock it thoroughly and get it to hold overnite, you will get it much clearer than I see in the pics. You have a lot of algae in your pool. Chlorine is the answer. :-D

The water has always been perfectly clear. I FC'd from 20 to 15 overnight. The spots are much reduced. I flushed the DE and added another 192 x 3 ounces of 6% from Sam's Club.

I'm thinking maybe, if there is anything left at all this PM, I should go ahead and buy some "Green to Clean" to completely wipe out the algae before I install the SWG that is on the way.

Opinions welcome!

duraleigh said:
Hal3,

Welcome.
If you'll get enough chlorine in your pool to shock it thoroughly and get it to hold overnite, you will get it much clearer than I see in the pics. You have a lot of algae in your pool. Chlorine is the answer. :-D

You don't need Green to Clean.

Shock levels will kill algae. Proper FC levels will prevent algae.

Even in a "clear" pool, algae can take hold. Clear doesn't mean everything.

You need to keep proper levels of FC in your pool at all times with good circulation and routine brushing of the pool surfaces. This will prevent algae.

I agree with frustratedpoolmom, Green To Clean is just as likely to cause problems as it is to help. All you need is to maintain your FC level until you don't lose any FC overnight (or very very little).

Remember to brush the entire pool at least once a day while you are at shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...low level of Trichor tabs from the feeder...green algae spots...
Borate 10 - 15,
Ph 7.4
FC 4 PPM
CC < 1 PPM
TA 150
CYA 50
Polyquat on board
Leslie's advises "Green to Clean" with $80 worth of products.
FPM is right (as usual): There is no reason to use a "Green to Clean" algacide product. Use Bleach or liquid chlorine to bring the chlorine up to shock level, keep it there to kill the algae, and brush it to remove it from the sides/bottom.

Are you running your pump 24 hours a day while you are killing the algae?
What are you using to test the water?
Are you meaning to raise the CYA prior to installing a SWG?

-Using Trichlor in the feeder is going to raise the CYA, which means that a higher level of chlorine will be required to shock and kill the algae :?: .

I would think that it would be better to:
a) clear up the algae (shock & brush)
b) maintain the correct FC level
c) install the SWG
d) add CYA (stabilizer) and salt as required by the SWG

also a borate level of 10-15 ppm is doing nothing at all for you. Active level of borates for pH conrol and algae control are a minimum of 30 ppm and optimum of 50 ppm for a chlorine pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.