Low pH cause cloudiness?

Jun 30, 2015
Estill Springs, TN
I have been doing a SLAM for 7 days. Started with a very green pool. Went from green to milky blue quickly. The milkiness seems to have gone away but it is still extremely cloudy. I messed up when I began the SLAM and forgot about the pH and just brought the chlorine level up to 16 for a CYA of 40. My pH is registering low at 6.8 to 7.2-ish with the chlorine at 16. Could the low pH be causing the cloudiness to linger.
Test results
Cl: 16
CC: .5
TA: 70
CH: 75
CYA: 40
ps....all of these results except the chlorine of course are with a chlorine reading of 13.5.
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yikes, your pH must be very low and could be damaging the liner. I would let the FC drop under 10ppm and get the pH fixed.

Those Intex cartridge filters are SLOW!!! at clearing up a pool. Are you using Intex cartridges or one of the much better reusable aftermarket ones?
Although, I would seriously consider an upgrade to one of the sand filters.

Takes awhile. (to cause damage from low PH). How long has it been low that you know of?

The cloudiness is from the filter system. Inadequate to clear up a swamp pool. Replacing the cartridges (not rinsing or reusing) is virtually the only way I'm aware of.

I 2nd the advice to upgrade.

At an absolute minimum you need to get one of the aftermarket (non-Intex) cartridges ... somewhere there is a thread with the correct part numbers.

But an Intex sand filter with a larger pump would made a HUGE difference.

Going out on a limb here, but I would add a little -not too much- borax (to raise pH) NOW while you wait for FC to drop. Just IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

We are concerned because pH reads falsely HIGH at elevated FC levels. So your low pH is worrisome. Borax is just 20 Mule Team in most any laundry aisle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I knew I wanted to take care of my pool this way, just didn't realize these kind of pools aren't made to come back from the brink really well. It probably would've been cheaper to dump it and start fresh....still may end up being what happens.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.