In need of help with algae

May 10, 2016
Munford, TN
Greetings all.
I got a 30 foot above ground pool installed around August of last year (no salt, yet!) and we got a bit of usage before having to close it for the winter. Apparently my winterizing efforts were lacking, because I pulled the cover back and found a green swamp about a month or 6 weeks ago. I have read on here how to recover from an algae bloom so I have been trying to do that. I have a heavy duty scoop net that I used to get most of the gunk up with. I have been adding tons of bleach with little regard for calculations. I have also added algaecide and shock. Finally the other day, I was able to see the bottom but the water is still a cloudy green.

I caved in and bought the TF test kit and finally took the time to test the water tonight. I know this might sound surprising, but I ended up adding 75 drops of the r0781 to my blood red water to get it back clear. Then after the 5 drops of r0003, it only took 5 drops to clear it up again. I have to admit I have no idea what this means but I know there are some gurus here that can decipher for me. The alkalinity test was about 17 drops from blue to yellow-ish, CYA was 80 or so I think and lastly the PH was about 7.0.

So tonight I ran my little aquabot pool rover junior for a while, backwashed the filter, added about 3 or 4 lbs of baking soda, and left it. I'm going to attach a few pictures below, of the water and some of the stuff I've added to the water, in addition to about 30 gallons of bleach. I was hoping I could read enough posts on this site and figure this stuff out, but apparently I can't. I just built a lovely pool deck this past weekend, and here in south west Tennessee, it won't be long until it's warm enough to swim. I gotta figure out how to get this pool clean again. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide.

:calm: We'll help you with the testing, but please don't add any more algaecides or pool store products to the water. In fact, if your bleach is as high as you say it is, back-off of the bleach as well until that FC comes back down a bit.

First thing ... we MUST know your CYA (test with the black dot). Your sanitation levels start with that one important test. So ....
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Validate the CYA for us and let us know what it is and we can go from there.

Ok I'm not crazy. I had replied to you post titled "I **** at this". Then it appears as I'm the author of a thread that I'm replying to. Texas splash will have you covered but here was my reply.

Welcome to TFP.

Take a deep breath. It will be ok.

If your CYA is really 80, you're not too out of line for your shock level for your pool. I bit above it. Have you read pool school? Start there. There is a link at the top of the page for that.

Stop using "shock" of any kind as it is likely raising your CYA which is already high.

Abc's of pool chemistry

Start with Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And defeating algae. Pool School - Defeating Algae

You don't suck at this. You are still learning.

And keep your pump running with SWG off while trying to rid the pool of algae. And stick to bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

And in my paste attempt the links didn't come through. Ugh.

Texas, I really was replying to his original post that was subject "I **** at this". I know I was because I scrolled up to double check his CYA Number and referenced chem geeks chart in chemistry 201.

But nonetheless samniel200 you don't **** at this. We can hold hands here. Try to read the important pool school articles and like Texas splash said, double check your CYA.

Keep your pump running 24/7. And ask more questions after reading pool school. It can be overwhelming at first but it's easy after it all sinks in.

Apologies for the improper title, won't happen again. As for the reading of the articles, I got in a hurry when trying to write my original post and ignore screaming children etc. that I forgot to mention I had been lurking on this site since shortly after getting my pool installed last year. I have been following the guidelines with regard to purchasing chemicals like Borax, baking soda, household bleach etc.
I attempted to test my CYA and I believe the number I came back with (around 80) is way higher than actual CYA content. The reason for that is that if I'm not mistaken, that is what is listed as stabilizer on the strips and mine hardly registers. I know those strips aren't perfect or exact but there has to be some truth to them, right? The TF kit did mention it might take a couple of attempts to get that test right, and I agree. I haven't had any substantial CYA added to my pool other than the 3 inch pucks in the float and basket. My reason for using them was to try to introduce some stabilizer since the pool hadn't had any all winter.
So, I wait a few days to let the chemicals level out and retest? Keep pumping, vacuuming, back washing etc? I was thinking about buying something like fallout or drop out, floculant (that's a fun word) that is supposed to help clump the 'debris' together and sink to the bottom for easier cleaning. What's the opinion on that stuff?
I really appreciate the quick feedback guys. You're awesome!

LOL on the screaming children while trying to type in a hurry! That will do it every time! They do tend to make things "interesting" to say the least.

We got ya. All is good now.

"guess" strips are just that. I would just throw them in the trash. There are SO many things that can make them test wrong. Lets just use the TF-100 from now on.

Your CYA-you can do and redo using the same water. Just pour it back and forth..........Pour to the first line, GLANCE in and see if you see the dot. If you do pour to the next line, GLANCE in, etc until you do not see the dot when you GLANCE in. Do NOT stare or you WILL see the dot LOL.

The pucks you were using add CYA to the water! Use pool math to show you how much each one adds and you will see where you got yours from.

Please run a full set of tests AND post a picture of your pool looking down at the steps. That will tell us where we need to go. Until we get back to you keep the pump running and the brushing going.

Kim:cat:

Please do not waste your money at this point on any floc, clarifiers, or other pool store products. You'll just end-up right back where you started. They don't kill algae. You're right, the strips are no way to test and often times lead to more chemical problems. Always trust your TF-100. You can try another test today if needed, but the best we can do for you at this point is try to go-off of your first CYA reading of 80. That requires an FC of 31 (62 drops to go from pink to clear when using the 10ml sample). Your pH was already good, so now you just have to test the FC periodically to ensure it stays at 31. You also should review the SLAM page (link below) each day to refresh your memory on all the other things required.

My only other concern is the amount of algaecide you added. Many algaecides add metals to the water which cause discoloration of the water and/or staining. So we'll need to watch that as well. For now, maintain the FC of 31, keep the pump running 24/7 for good circulation and clean the filter when pressure increases by 25%. Also scrub/sweep the pool each day as well.

Don't forget to update your signature! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Usually pH shows higher when FC is over 10. Seeing that you recorded 6.8 has me concerned. I would allow the FC to drop just below 10, just long enough to confirm your pH. Then maintain an FC of 28 based on your CYA of 70. Don't forget to review the SLAM page daily for memory joggers. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.