Lost and almost overwhelmed with pool revival

May 9, 2016
Carthage TX
Surface
Vinyl
So, I have cleaned the pool, and filled it up. The water just reached skimmer level, just a few more inches!! I have read through pool school and done a few of the suggestions. Pics and 1st "leslie's" test results in my intro thread. I just bought some DE for my freshly cleaned out FNS Plus 60 filter. During cleaning, I noticed that I will soon be replacing the grids as there are some broken and brittle pieces. However, I am extremely pressed budget wise until payday. I also have to raise the calcium hardness level in the pool. I will be ordering a test kit for my own testing in the next week or two. But main question for today is do I continue adding the hardness adjuster while adding the DE slurry for the filter? Should I wait til i have new grids before using the DE? So many questions and little things that need to be addressed that I am glad I found this forum. I'll be my own pool guy from now on.

Adding calcium without an accurate reading might be a dicey thing to do since you don't have your own test results yet. As for grids, it's not good to let them run without DE, so if your old grids can hold DE, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep them covered (charged) for now. When you get new grids you can always do a thorough cleaning and recharge the whole filter at that time as well. Until you can order the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, you might consider at least a simple HTH kit from Wal-Mart so you can at least check pH and ensure there's some adequate chlorine available.

Thanks! I'll add the DE now. They'll hold, only a few with holes. but should be enough to get me through til the new ones are bought. Just primed the filter(thats a lot of buckets of water). I started at 0 chlorine and added 2 bags of shock from leslies before I found this page yesterday and added maybe 15lbs of the recommended 75 for the calcium. They read it as 40ppm, and from what i read it should be around 300ppm? Its a fresh fill from city water it that helps.

Yeah, it's very possible you'll need more calcium, but it's best to know where you're at right now so you don't overshoot the CH target. Just use regular bleach for your FC sanitation for now. Once you can get your own test kit you'll be much better prepared to take action without buying or adding anything you don't need. :)

Thanks again. I have the pump running, seems to be working okay. DE was added as in the tutorial. Water seems to be flowing through the plumbing well, minus 1 return. Seems to be air coming out of it, but not the other 2. Hope its just some air in the line... with my luck on this thing so far, cracked plumbing isn't out of the question.

This is the current "valve" that is installed.
20160428_124637_zpsi9dzfpm7.jpg

After adding the DE, I did notice that it returned via the jets. And I have not added the CYA yet, but i do have a bag ready to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.