Re-Introduction Time

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
Hello everyone!

My name is Ann (Annie) and I joined TFP in 2007 when it was owned by Sean B. After the experts here fixed every problem I had been having for 6 years, in less than a month, I stayed to "pay it forward". About a year later, Sean B. asked me to become a Moderator.

I was a Moderator until 2011/2012.

In 2011, after much encouragement from family and friends, and several parties here at TFP... I decided to start my own swimming pool maintenance business, using TFP methods. I found a niche market - no one around here offered the services that I did.

Duraleigh mentored me and gave me tremendous (and much appreciated support) and advice. My business doubled every year, through reputation and word of mouth, as frustrated new clients who were fed up by the limited services available through local pool store chains (who seemed to be absolutely clueless about pool water chemistry and more intent on robbing clients of their hard earned money). I even helped a friend start her own business in nearby towns and there is more than enough business for the both of us!

I earned my word of mouth reputation by tackling the tough pools no one else would touch, and educating the clients (when they would listen). I have cleared foreclosed pools, cleared pools for people who that I was some sort of wizard, who had given up... etc, you name it, all using TFP methods.

Now entering my 6th season in business, I have had very positive changes in other areas in my life which frees up a bit more time and I'm glad to be back here (if the powers that be will let me hang out) to share the knowledge I have learned here and how I have applied it in real world applications. I've probably treated around 300 different pools. Every pool truly is unique in some respects, not so much with the basics of pool water chemistry. The science is pure.

That being said, if some of my advice sounds "contrary" to TFP methods, or seems extreme in some way, I only offer it because I've experienced using these methods countless times, myself, on all different types of pools. I have modified some techniques, trying to fill a hole or figure out what seemed to be missing a link.... I learned long ago never to guess on an answer, or offer advice that could potentially harm someone's pool. Having used these practices on my clients pools, I would be the first to incur the wrath that should come if I had some how caused damage to someone's pool. I have insurance, and have never had to file a claim.

I mentioned my experiences with treating ammonia in inground pools a couple of years ago, and the experiences I had. I would love to delve deeper and will find that thread or start a new one because the experiences since that time continue to reaffirm what I have learned in every day hands on practices.

My schedule the last 5 years revolved around parenting (divorced mom of 2) working full-time as a Bartender/Server whenever I wasn't doing pools. So pretty much 18-20 hours a day... Not alot of time to be on TFP. I tried to visit when I could.

So, with things having changed a bit, and more time on my hands (relatively speaking) I'm so glad to be back :)

Hi Annie. Let me be the first to welcome you back to where it all started. Some of the old names are still here and I'm sure they miss seeing your username pop-up from time to time. You have a lot of posts under your belt, and obviously a wealth of experience...... just in time for pool season. :) Welcome back to the madhouse. :dwarf:

Welcome back Annie! I can attest, your advice helped me greatly last year in staking out on my own.

Looking forward to seeing you around :)

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Real world experience working on hundreds of different pools makes you a great asset to TFP. It's too easy to get get caught up in our own pools and our own unique climates and quickly offer advice that makes no sense to the person asking for help - I know I'm guilty of that bias.

I look forward to your posts and the insights you can share from your experience with all those pools "no one else would touch." ;)

Welcome (back)!!

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting read! I've been thinking about the opportunity to create a part time business of pool services. In being a TFP'er, seems like you are selling your training more than the service of maintaining a pool?

Interesting read! I've been thinking about the opportunity to create a part time business of pool services. In being a TFP'er, seems like you are selling your training more than the service of maintaining a pool?

Yah in a way, you sorta are. The service it sells itself when they see that you know what you are talking about. It's kinda like when a Noob here finds TFP and reads and says "AHA! or EUREKA! this all makes sense" and you realize how much time and money and energy was wasted at the pool store. You earn their trust that way. Some don't want to know. "just make it ok to swim" or "just make it so I don't have to replace the liner every 3 years". LOL

It can be very frustrating at times, but its very fulfilling and satisfying the majority of the time. :)

This concept has been discussed before. See - TFPC pool care service?

The discussion often centers on how you can't mix TFP pool methods (daily, consistent testing and dosing) with the standard pool service model (once per week visits). The two approaches have some fundamental incompatibilities.

FPM,

Maybe you can share some of your experience with how you have leveraged the knowledge found here on TFP with your pool care business. Obviously no one expects you to share your trade secrets, but these discussions often boil down to the idea I wrote above and are often argued in the abstract. Any real-world experience you might share on the topic would add greatly to this discussion.

I use tablets.
:slidehalo::cheers::testkit:

I have to. I have clients who are every 7 days up to 9 or 10. For those clients they get an extra dose of liquid chlorine each visit to boost up the FC level. They pay me a bit more than my other clients because it requires the dosing of Borax and Baking Soda. As long as you understand what tablets do and that the method costs you more, its workable. I still make a nice profit and they are still spending alot less than they were.

For some pools near ponds, I have seen critters cross contaminate and so I use Polyquat in those 2 pools.

Half of my clients are saltwater now so my only adjustment seems to be Muratic acid once the spring balance is complete.

I took over two overstabilized pools (200 and 400 CYA respectively) and did partial drains and refills over the course of the season, used only liquid (they both had auto covers and little usage, so this allowed the FC to stay above the minimum.) I explained very carefully what their issue was and it would take time to correct (water here is extremely expensive so draining is an issue.) I kept hoping they would get ammonia but it didn't happen. LOL

I think the main fundamental incompatibilities is we, veterans, understand how easy the TFP methods are and inexpensive, and we just can't see going back to the "other" way. Pool store/chemical company advice also advocates bad, inneffective methods like lower FC levels and "weekly shocking". It's the weekly shocking with Dichlor, etc that causes problems.

Once you understand the pool chemistry - know the various pools - and the various water sources - its not all that difficult.

For example - the town next door - Lockport water is horrendous. High in Iron, TA and CH. And the pool stores out here hoc Cal-Hypo like its the greatest gift and "be sure you use generous applications". Well guess what they are replacing their liners every 3 years... If they simply understood what high PH and calcium will do.... but they don't care enough to ask what the water source is. I have lake michigan water. I've put liquid chlorine and stabilizer in my pool and nothing else in 9 years. My pool is 15 years old with original liner and filter, new pump and heater (thank you pool store/frog/low PH)....

I think I'm rambling now. LOL

Ann,

We are so happy to hear from you.

Your history is unique and invaluable in that you learned TFP first THEN had to modify TFP to fit your commercial schedule.....most times it's the opposite and folks are just not willing to change.

You have a unique opportunity to apply that knowledge and it sure seems like you have.

For those interested, I would be happy to talk with you by PM to explore various approaches that might be appealing to you.

There would be nothing to buy but We certainly hope you would stay with TFP methods and find some use for our product (short, shameless plug is now ended. PM me)

Dave

LOL

For the record - I order the majority of my refills through TFTestkits and when I do have the glorious moments of conducting a pool school - I give them the link to get the kit. It really is the best on the market for multiple reasons.

BTW Dave - I have modified my original 'school' to go from a one-day session to a 3 day session, scheduled at everyone's convienence. They seem to need the time to absorb things and let it sink in. Plus, it saves me countless calls and texts after the fact :)

I wouldn't have my business if it weren't for TFP. ((Hugs))

I wouldn't have my business if it weren't for TFP. ((Hugs))

Almost, but not quite right......you wouldn't have your business if it weren't for FPM. You are the engine driving the train and you should take full credit for the initiative and "sicktoitiveness" you have displayed over the years.

TPF provides the assistance but the credit is yours. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support