chlorine levels reading high

Nov 11, 2013
Pocasset, Oklahoma
Good Afternoon All!

I am in need of some direction after some recent readings of my pool chemicals. To background, gunite pool, about 13000 gallons, I do have an inline chlorinator and I typically supplement with bleach. Currently my readings from the kit I bought on here reads:
FC-12
CC-.5
TC-12.5
CH-400
TA-90
CYA-90
PH 7.5

We have really hard water here and our CH has always hovered in the higher 300's or so. I also looked back in my notes I keep and our CYA has averaged 60-90 as well. We have had some recent rains so I assume some things are out of wack from that. About a month ago I had turned up the chlorinator to about 3, probably a bit pre-mature since it's not warmed up to swimming weather here in Oklahoma. I have since turned it to zero to try to bring the FC down. That has brought it down from 15 on Sunday. Can I assume that if I leave the chlorinator off for a day or two more with daily testing it will come down on its own? I appreciate all insight.

How does your water look? That is the first thing we need to know before any of us should advise you much further. Secondly, please remove the pucks from your chlorinator as soon as you can. Those pucks add CYA and your level is already high.

thanks for the reply's. The water is crystal clear. When the wind dies down I can see the screws that hold the cover of the returns in place in the floor of the pool. I can't get my hand inside the tube to remove the existing pucks, so I will probably just have to wait until they are gone.

Pabeader- Are you saying I should be targeting 10 for my CYA reading?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.