Hardness question

Apr 9, 2016
DFW North TX
So, I've been using the Pool Calculator for about a month with y'all's help.

We've gotten a lot of rain this month so lots of fresh water.

Got my water tested at Leslie's. The CH is 110.

My PH is also 8. I already put in acid to fix the PH. Used Pool calculator for amount. Side note - I'm having a hard time keeping the ph down. Is that normal?

Back to CH. The pool calculator recommended about 42 lbs of calcium chloride. I read on this site that PH can have an effect on hardness. Should I get the ph down and retest before adding calcium chloride? And any recommendations on where to get it?

My pool is looking good with you help. Thanks!!

Pool store testing as you will see all over this forum is not trust worthy.

First you should get a recommended test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF100) then post those results.
They will be accurate.

Some say ice melt works, but only if it's mostly calcium chloride...some are not..

CH is the ONLY thing I buy at my local pool store.

On the ph, first we need to know your Total Alkalinity level. It sounds like it might be high.
The new thinking here is that lowering the TA then seeing what the ph does and for some
they no longer need acid additions when the TA is at 50.

When the TA is correct your ph should fluctuate a lot less unless your on new plaster, then
that can take up to a year before it stabilizes ph levels.

No, PH has no impact on CH. I would raise it 250.

Several things contribute to rising PH
High TA
Waterfalls, bubblers, etc
Plaster that is less than a year old

Order a TF100 from TFTestkits.net or a Taylor K-2006 from them or elsewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.